Toulouse goose eggs-first time hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nickori, Apr 22, 2009.

1. nickori

nickori Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2008
    Temple
    I have 4 toulouse goose eggs in my incubator. It is an LG. They have been in for 9 days. When should I be able to see veining? Honestly, I cant see much of anything. A dark blob is about it? I have kept the temp between 99.5-101. Humidity has been 45-50%. Going to add a sponge to increase the humdity. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I lvoe this forum. I can sit and read for hours.

Thank you
    Nicki

2. nickori

Nov 13, 2008
    Temple
    No one can tell me anything?

3. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Hi Nicki,
    I am in the same boat, going to be putting some goose eggs in a LG hopefully the end of the week.
    I MIGHT be wrong (will have to go back and look over my notes, I have taken down so much info on this I cant see straight,lol) but I believe geese need a higher humidity for hatching.
    I would think you should be able to see something at day 9? I guess I will find that out as well,lol. From what I can remember growing up, the shells are thicker than chicken eggs.

4. nickori

Nov 13, 2008
    Temple
    I see a dark blob, but not any veining. The shell is thick and I either dont have a bright enough light or I have nothing in the eggs

I have candled white chicken eggs and know what the veining looks like. I have brown eggs in the other incubator now and cant see much in them either.

Any info greatly appreciated.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

For goose eggs, I wait until day 14 to candle. Around then, you should def. know if they are developing.

Good Luck! [​IMG]

6. nickori

Nov 13, 2008
    Temple
    Thank you. I have had a hard time getting humidity over 47%. Adding sponges today to help. I am in texas and it is dry at the moment. Is this lower humidty going to cause harm at this point in hatching?

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:No, it will be fine. Just make sure that during the hatch you boost it up to 75-85%. Use lots of wet sponges, and wet cloths.

8. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    Hi!! Good luck with your goosies!

I am in Texas, too...and I just hatched my first goslings last week (during that whack-job storm that flooded everywhere for two days)
    and I am hatching another one this weekend.

To help keep humidity I open the incubator as little as possible and have paper towels on the bottom to keep a little wetness in. When I see them crinkling up dry, I spary water with a spray bottle until the towels are wet again through the holes in the top of my LG.

When it was hatching time, when the humidity needs to be 75%, I placed wet washcloths over the top of the entire incubator (except the windows) and it kept the humidity around 60%, so it helped a lot.

With goose eggs patience is forced on you. Candling at day ten will only make you worry, candle around day 15-20 and check for movement...but unless it looks completely 100% scrambled, do NOT throw it away!

Geese are SLOW...they do four times bigger development with only an extra week added to their hatch time from chickens!

Good luck with your geese! They are the PERFECT poultry!

9. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I don't have any goose eggs in the bator but a friend of mine does. He sprays his eggs every other day witha water mist and so far he has hatched out ducks and geese just fine. I don't have toulouse yetr. Just ordered 10 from a local women this morning She has 50 in her incubator due to hatch May 1. Can't wait.

10. nickori

Nov 13, 2008
    Temple
    I started cooling and misting once a day at day 5. They still get turned 3 times a day. I am not going to candle or look at them for another week. I looked at them yesterday and had myself convinced they were a dud. I feel like an expectant mother. My husband thinks I am nuts. After all it is just and "egg".. Ughh. I added a wet spong and that seems to be helping.

Nicki
    mom to a 16 year old hormonal daughter, 22 RIR, 6 dogs, 5 horses, 2 cows, 7 barn cats, and anything else that wanders in the yard

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by