Toulouse Goose on the Loose

Big Turtle Farm

Hatching
Jan 12, 2018
My sons and I have been managing a mixed flock composed of one Toulouse Goose, two Pekin ducks and four Buff Orpington Chickens. They spend the nights together in an off-of-the-ground chicken/duck house we built. They are between four months and a year old.

During the day, the chickens range separately over an acre of grass, trees and brush. The goose and two ducks stay together and range over the same land, but separate from the chickens. We also have a acre size pond where the ducks and goose will swim. The goose is clearly the leader among the webbed-foot crew and always puts herself between the ducks and potential danger. The ducks will never stray from her side.

No issues; just a big happy family until a month ago. Then all of a sudden, one day the goose started trying to hold one of the duck's head under water in the pond. It was a pretty aggressive effort and we thought the duck might drown until we went out in the boat to break it up.

Since then, there has been no more of that, but we note the goose will bite the same duck's head to the point of the duck missing a lot of feathers on the back of her head. This happens every couple days and lasts just a few minutes. The goose hollers when she does this as if she is angry at the duck for some type of infraction. The duck just seems to roll with it. The other duck is left alone. Both ducks still seem to admire the goose. And, if we separate the hurt duck from the goose, they get upset and make a lot of racket, especially the goose.

Wondering if there is anything we can do to arrest this behavior. Does it stop at some point? We've done some research; the behavior does not seem to be repeated in the way we see it happen in the literature we have studied. Hope it doesn't end bad for the duck. Thanks for reading.

Thank you for the quick replies.

Well, after all, I guess she could be a gander. We have respected her privacy down there so have only gone with what the farmer told us. We get so many eggs of varying sizes we really have never known for sure who they belonged to.

Our feed store takes special orders on geese, ducks, chickens, etc., so we will take your advice and see about getting a female goose....or two.

I have attached a photo that includes the goose/gander taken right before the hurricane making her seven months old in that image.
IMG_4998.jpg

As a side note, we are amazed at what a good pet a goose can be. Such an interesting personality; and all of it totally unexpected.

Thanks again.

You will know it when you see your first goose egg. One is equivalent to about 3 chicken eggs. It is still early to be seeing goose eggs. (I'm still waiting) and 10 months is still immature.
Photos that help identify gender need to show just the bird standing. Body shape, how they hold their heads, carriage are some clues that help separate the boys from the girls. Snaking the neck, loud shrieking vocalization, chasing the dogs, putting itself between you and the ducks are good indicators of male behavior. Ganders also have the more engaging personalities.

You will know it when you see your first goose egg. One is equivalent to about 3 chicken eggs. It is still early to be seeing goose eggs. (I'm still waiting) and 10 months is still immature.
Photos that help identify gender need to show just the bird standing. Body shape, how they hold their heads, carriage are some clues that help separate the boys from the girls. Snaking the neck, loud shrieking vocalization, chasing the dogs, putting itself between you and the ducks are good indicators of male behavior. Ganders also have the more engaging personalities.

Well said!

Until breeding season then they are Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hide. Or my Embden gander is.

I used to have lots of geese.
I used them to foster young geese and ducklings.
My ganders were the first ones to take on the job. the gooses were not as nurturing to them.
I had up to 30 geese in my flock.
I never saw a goose take a gosling under herself..
maybe I had weird geese ??

Back
Top Bottom