Toulouse or Buff geese choice?

There is no such thing as guard geese and they won’t do anything to protect the chickens from snakes, weasels, skunks, raccoons, foxes, or anything else.
They can deter hawks because of their size, but that is all.
They have no instinct or inclination to defend anything other than their eggs, goslings, and mates, nothing more. Their natural defense mechanism against all foes is to fly away if they can because truthfully they can’t really put up much of a fight.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...d-goose-and-why-you-should-not-get-one.77508/

On the other hand geese can get violent towards smaller birds of different species, there are plenty of accounts of people here who’ve had their roosters, hens, and ducks nearly killed or killed by their geese.

Chinese and African geese are better at alerting to something in your yard, person or whatever, than Toulouse or buffs. My Toulouse and Buff’s instinct when seeing a stranger or predator is to not draw attention to themselves by making noise and to scurry our of sight so I wouldn’t suggest them as good candidates for alarm geese, however all geese are individuals so I can’t say that there aren’t buffs and Toulouse who wouldn’t make good alarm geese.

Geese can be wonderful additions to the flock if situated in their own enclosure at night or one large enough that ducks and chickens have plenty of room to keep away, geese have wonderful personalities and you won’t see bigger eggs unless you get something more exotic.
I personally love geese, I have 11, they’re all individuals and they put a smile on my face every day. However geese are large enough to make life difficult, and if you don’t interact with them a lot they can decide that you aren’t a member of their clique and that you are a rival trying to steal their mate and they will make your life very difficult in breeding season. That isn’t that big of a deal if you’ve learned to expect it and know how to deal with it, but it isn’t easy if you’re a first time goose owner.
Pointers for first time goose owner?

I've learned I pretty much have no say in things regarding my moms plans to get our first chicken flock this spring. I'm pretty much just trying to decrease issues "we" (Me) will have. And then my mother decides bombshell she wants geese for protection against smaller snake and weasles and alarms for bigger threats. Including people I guess. I can just imagine geese attacking my father or brothers when they step out of their trucks.

As I said I am pretty much just trying to decrease issues I will face. Such as finding birds that will survive our Michigan climate and not try to kill me who will be their daily caretaker. And my moms narrowed her wants down to two different breeds. But she only wants a pair of one breed. The american buff or Toulouse.

While I've done my research about their purposes which both seem to stem with meat with the toulouse being decent for eggs. Both seem more docile than something such as the african geese which my mom doesn't want because of the knob on their head I guess thats prone to frostbite based on what she said. .

From what I am seeing theres not much about the toulouse's guardian abilities.

So can anyone tell me anything that I can discuss with her to lead her toward the breed that can survive cold winter. Honestly I'm not expecting the geese to do much guarding of chickens but stories to entertain her and give her thoughts toward the breeds she wants to decide would be very much appreciated. Whether it be about their care, personalitys, any guardian things if you got lucky, issues with the geese and chickens etc. Just anything that comes to mind will be much appreciated.

To clarify we will be free ranging the chickens and geese all during the day and get them penned up in a secured covered run during night. I'm hoping to get the chickens trained to come "home" (coop/run) for the night with a bell. I dunno if thatll work for the geese though. I never thought she would want geese. I mean we talked about turkeys and guineas but that was going to be a future addition after the chicken flock was secured.

Last but not least as I say I have no say so telling my mom the geese wont do what she wants will not work with her lol.
Since you're going to be the caretaker of this new flock your mom is getting, hats off to you for doing all the research to make sure they are all cared for properly. Thanks for your insights.

Back
Top Bottom