toxin flush for ducks? lethargic?

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
I have two muscovy girls that I keep in with my other ducks, and while I don't typically let them free range this time of year (grass destroyers) the muscovies like to fly out of their pen and walk around, which I don't mind because it's only two. However, this morning when I went to let them out of the coop they didn't move, and one of them walked out slowly after I pushed her while I had to pick the other one up (she NEVER lets me do that). Last night I also had to pick both of them up to put them back in the pen, as they usually just fly up the sides and go in but they seemed too weak to do that. After I got them out this morning they've seemed okay, been walking around like usual and one of them has been going in and out of the pen on her own. But because they're the only ones with symptoms, and the only ones that free range, I'm worried they got into something, like maybe moldy feed on the ground somewhere. When I let them all out in the morning the two muscovy girls used to always fly up onto our roof and hang out there for a bit, which I've noticed they haven't done in a while.

I'm thinking just to be safe I should try doing some sort of toxin flush, but all the resources I can find are for chickens. I was thinking about putting some molasses in their water but ducks tend to dunk their whole heads in and flush their nostrils, etc., would that be safe with molasses water? I also do not have blackstrap molasses (or at least it doesn't say that on the label), do other kinds work too? Or what would anyone recommend for a toxin flush? Maybe epsom salts? The only things I have at the moment are the generic molasses and some electrolytes, but I can get things for them if needed.

The only other thing that's changed recently is we planted grass seed, which is blue and they have been out picking at it a bit. I read online that it was fine (at least for the ducks) but could that be causing this? Any advice would be great here.

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/
Be sure to follow these instructions to the T.

Sounds like your grass seed is treated, but the company said it was safe for ducks to eat?
Are they laying? when was the last time? Are they eating normal drinking okay too? Poop doesn't look abnormal?
Sorry for slightly late reply, thanks for the response. They have both been laying and seem fine now, I ended up not giving them anything because I wanted to watch them for a bit longer. They both seem fine now, poop looks normal, eat and drinking. Still haven't been flying but not sure how long that's been going on, I just noticed recently that I hadn't seen them flying around in a while. But other than that they both seem okay. I was not the one who planted the grass and the bag was gone before I could look at it so I'm not sure what it said, but when I looked it up on google I couldn't find anything about blue grass seed being toxic. So not sure what was up with them that morning but I've been watching closely just in case.

Back
Top Bottom