1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Toys in Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Master S.M.C, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I Just wanted to know about the average toys you guys place in the Brooder for the chicks to play with during the day, I completely forgot about that.

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never done it before, but I'm thinking about a mirror this year. I'd love to see those reactions! [​IMG]

3. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    My kids always put small stuffed animals in with ours. They just get some at yardsales for a nickel.

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

There was a post about this a couple days ago. I put a cardboard box on it's side (mine is stable on it's side, make sure it can't fall over and squish them)...they go in it and also jump on top of it. I also have a 2x4 ramp in there that they run up and down on, and sit/sleep on.

Mine also LOVE an upside down tupperware lid with Parakeet grit sprinkled in it. They play in it, scratch and sit in it, and eat it. I hope they can't OD on this stuff...they LOVE it!

5. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes there was... got my wife and I thinking about how we could spoil ours, most of whom will be 2 weeks old tomorrow (Wednesday). We took a playground thingie we got a Petco for our parakeets that they never played on and gave it (all cleaned up of course) to our bantam cochins... This is them 4 days ago. In a week they will almost be too big to play on it anymore.
    [​IMG]

We need to make some little split level thingie with a small box, a ramp and something else. We want to take advantage of the vertical space of our dog carrier brooder so's when they get bigger they won't be so cramped.

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I put 2 plastic cups RED in the brooder and they push them aroun all over. I was told to hang CD's as they are attracted to shiney things so i may try that as well.

7. Brandolamite

Brandolamite Just Hatched

Apr 10, 2017
    Boise Id
    I just hung an old CD from some twine in my brooder,they all ran to there corner...Will see seems like it spooks them.

8. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    We always have a bale of straw or hay for them to play on. I also bought a child's xylophone at the Goodwill and hung it on the side of the run. We have a homemade swing but haven't hung it yet.

9. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    Wow. Y'all make feel like I'm neglecting my chicks. They only get a clump of dandelions to play on/with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by