tpys for chicks

My favorite "toy" to provide to my brooder chicks (and the grown ones enjoy it too) is grabbing a branch off some random bush that still has a bunch of green leaves on it and dropping that in with them.

Other than that, I usually provide a practice perch and sometimes a cardboard box for hiding in.

The whole runner is fenced in with chicken wire and water and tear proof tarps to shield them from the weather and keep preditors out, the only things that aren't covered is the door leading into the run and the section near the top to help ventilation pass through like someone else suggested for me to do.

Don't close them up so much that they overheat.

In the US south heat is FAR, FAR more dangerous than cold.

This is my brooder, where I have chicks hatched on Easter outside (with a heat plate), and I'm having to worry about keeping them cool enough. :)

Don't close them up so much that they overheat.

In the US south heat is FAR, FAR more dangerous than cold.

This is my brooder, where I have chicks hatched on Easter outside (with a heat plate), and I'm having to worry about keeping them cool enough. :)
Yes, my run is built like that too 😊 plus when they do go outside, they have my whole back yard to free forage, and it's very big and spacious for them. There is also lots of places and trees they can go under for shade if they get too hot. I'm going to leave their door open so they can go in and out if they get too cold or hot. Also I'll have their water and food available for them where the sun doesn't shine on it and make the water warn. I also heard putting ice in their water during summer helps them stay cool. 🧊

Back
Top Bottom