Tracing the air cells (new thread to continue air cell line chat)

FenDruadin

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Charlotte, NC Area
In danger of hijacking someone else's thread, so figured I'd start this one...

Okay, so who is tracing their air cells before lockdown? I started doing this last summer, and found out some really cool stuff--like where the pips usually occur on the egg, and which direction they zip, and so on. I now ALWAYS trace the air cell. I used to trace it at each candling, so I could watch it grow, but that's gotten to be too much now that I'm hatching 20 eggs every two weeks. Now I just do it at lockdown.

And now I've added something new, starting with my most recent hatch: I traced a small circle where I could see the duck's bill sticking into the air cell. Of course this only works if they've pipped internally prior to lockdown, but I did learn something cool from it--I can predict even more accurately where they are going to pip, based on where their bill is after internal pip.

I'll take pictures next time, but wanted to share that and see if anyone else wanted to try it. I no longer have to wonder where the pipping will occur!

Oh, and does anyone have birds that zip clockwise? Mine ALWAYS zip counterclockwise. And furthermore, even the batch of quail I hatched recently zipped counterclockwise. Is that true of all birds?

I used to take more notice with the developement of the air cells when I was buying eggs that had to be shipped- But now that I am hatching my own- I just monitor the size troughout incubation.

I have also noted that all my eggs unzip counterclockwise. I always thought it was due to the positioning of the baby in the egg and that they are able to move and sqirm around one direction only due to the way they are curled up in there. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had a clockwise zip- and if they knew what position the baby was in before hatching.

thumbsup.gif
Good idea if other chicks are hatched & roll the eggs in waiting over to get them back up rite.

Interesting:

I don't hatch my duck eggs, the ducks do that. But if you think about it and watch the ducks they prefer to move counterclockwise.

My duck house pretty much sits in the middle of my backyard and they always circle it counterclockwise. If I try to move them clockwise, they get confused.

Must be a natural instinct.

Back
Top Bottom