1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Tractor for ducks?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 1acrefarm, Nov 3, 2007.

1. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Songster

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I am thinking of building a tractor for my ducks. I was wondering how much enclosed and open space 4 mallards need. Any special concerns with a tractor being used for ducks? I want to get these ducks separated from the chickens before spring. I plan to get more chickens in the spring and with ducks making a mess of everything I won't.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. eggchel

eggchel Crowing Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    A tractor is great for ducks. If you are going to move it frequently (to fresh ground) then they dont need as much space as they would if they were in a pen. My bantam Aussie Spotted ducks have about 15 square feet of space per bird in their pen. If yours are in a tractor that is moved to clean ground every couple days and if you only have one male, then they could have considerably less space.

Chel

3. I think ducks need a tractor which has pedals VERY close to the seat; they have short legs.

Nyuck nyuck nyuck...couldn't resist!!!

4. greginshasta

greginshasta Songster

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: