Tractor or permanent run/coop?

Kataloo

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 4, 2014
Utah
I am sooo excited to get chickening! Can't wait for spring to come. I am debating on a chicken tractor or a permanent coop/run. With the run I worry about predators, but it would be useful in improving some areas of my lawn that need some help. I wonder how easy it is to move? Would a woman approaching 60 woman be able to move it? I'd love to know what people think.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Check out the BYC Coops section for ideas on both. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops A permanent coop/run is easier to predator proof, but the tractors are nice to move around the yard. How about both? You can make tractors as big or small as you want, or are able to move, either by hand or by tractor/lawnmower. If you can't free-range, you could make a small tractor also to let them access fresh grass in the evenings etc.

welcome-byc.gif
I prefer permanent coop and enclosed (& covered) run. Chicken tractors are easy for predators to dig under. If the tractor is small - predators can turn them over. Chickens always looked cramped in tractors, just bending down all the time, they can't spread their wings and usually cannot stand upright.

I have an apron of wire around my tractor, noticed this morning something had been digging 8 inches from the tractor hit the wire and kept trying for a while, it did not back up the two feet necessary to find the edge of the wire.
I found that I had to have a "dolly" to move my tractors.

images

X3 on the permanent coop. Do some reading in the learning center and check out our coop section and this should help you make a good decision for what you need.

Enjoy BYC!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Check out the BYC Coops section for ideas on both. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops A permanent coop/run is easier to predator proof, but the tractors are nice to move around the yard. How about both? You can make tractors as big or small as you want, or are able to move, either by hand or by tractor/lawnmower. If you can't free-range, you could make a small tractor also to let them access fresh grass in the evenings etc.

I have a tractor coop and I do like it, but I am now building a permanent structure. When you are trying to decide between the two, most people will consider how it looks, how many chickens it will hold, and whether or not they can move it etc... But from experience my advice is to think about how convenient it will be for you to use. You will need to collect eggs, add food, water and bedding, and of course clean. So get something you can access easily from as many sides as possible, something you don't have to bend, twist, and squeeze into. Just my 2 cents...
1f609.png

I have a tractor coop and I do like it, but I am now building a permanent structure. When you are trying to decide between the two, most people will consider how it looks, how many chickens it will hold, and whether or not they can move it etc... But from experience my advice is to think about how convenient it will be for you to use. You will need to collect eggs, add food, water and bedding, and of course clean. So get something you can access easily from as many sides as possible, something you don't have to bend, twist, and squeeze into. Just my 2 cents...
1f609.png

Sorry Kelsie.. Did not mean to tag you in that post
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom