1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tractor or permanent run/coop?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kataloo, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Kataloo

Kataloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    I am sooo excited to get chickening! Can't wait for spring to come. I am debating on a chicken tractor or a permanent coop/run. With the run I worry about predators, but it would be useful in improving some areas of my lawn that need some help. I wonder how easy it is to move? Would a woman approaching 60 woman be able to move it? I'd love to know what people think.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Check out the BYC Coops section for ideas on both. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops A permanent coop/run is easier to predator proof, but the tractors are nice to move around the yard. How about both? You can make tractors as big or small as you want, or are able to move, either by hand or by tractor/lawnmower. If you can't free-range, you could make a small tractor also to let them access fresh grass in the evenings etc.

3. Kataloo

Kataloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    I hadn't thought of both. I like that idea!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I prefer permanent coop and enclosed (& covered) run. Chicken tractors are easy for predators to dig under. If the tractor is small - predators can turn them over. Chickens always looked cramped in tractors, just bending down all the time, they can't spread their wings and usually cannot stand upright.

2 people like this.
  5. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I have an apron of wire around my tractor, noticed this morning something had been digging 8 inches from the tractor hit the wire and kept trying for a while, it did not back up the two feet necessary to find the edge of the wire.
    I found that I had to have a "dolly" to move my tractors.

1 person likes this.
  6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I agree with drumstick diva, I like the idea of an enclosed coop/run. Good luck to you.

1 person likes this.
  7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

X3 on the permanent coop. Do some reading in the learning center and check out our coop section and this should help you make a good decision for what you need.

Enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  8. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    I have a tractor coop and I do like it, but I am now building a permanent structure. When you are trying to decide between the two, most people will consider how it looks, how many chickens it will hold, and whether or not they can move it etc... But from experience my advice is to think about how convenient it will be for you to use. You will need to collect eggs, add food, water and bedding, and of course clean. So get something you can access easily from as many sides as possible, something you don't have to bend, twist, and squeeze into. Just my 2 cents...[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Sorry Kelsie.. Did not mean to tag you in that post[​IMG]

10. Azure Acres

Azure Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2014
    NW Missouri
    Have you thought of a hoop house? Mobile like a chicken tractor, but not as restrictive on the chickens' movement.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by