Tractor supply bantam chicks

SeaGal4

Chirping
Sep 4, 2018
I know a lot of you are great at figuring out breeds!! Here are 2 photos of my 7 bantam chicks I got from TSC.. also is it true that long wing feathers and feather on the rump mean pullet? Vs short wings and fuzzy rump means cockerel? I group the photos into those categories. Let me know what you think breed and sex wise?? Also, who has bantams and which ones are the best and why! :) Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180904_123130_656000.jpg
    IMG_20180904_123130_656000.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20180904_123029_781000.jpg
    IMG_20180904_123029_781000.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 70
1st group:
Silver Laced Cochin. Silver Penciled Cochin
Silver Laced Cochin. BB Red OEGB

2nd group:
White or Black Tailed White Japanese. Mille Fleur D'uccle
White Laced Red Cornish

For their genders, wait until they are 6 weeks old, then post pictures of their combs. Feathering, leg color, or fluffiness does not determine the sex.

#1. Silver Laced Cochin
#2. Silver Laced Cochin, most likely
#3. Silver Laced Cochin, or Light Brahma, depending on comb type
#4. OEGB, though not entirely sure of color variety yet
#5. Black Tailed White Japanese
#6. Either Mille Fleur d'Uccle or Buff Brahma, depending on comb type
#7. Agree on White Laced Red Cornish

It's a little early yet to accurately determine gender....anything at this point would simply be nothing more than guesses. :) We should have a better idea in another few weeks.

~Alex

I don't have any animals other than a cat at the moment but been chicken obsessed for years...it depends on what you want out of the bantam breed

Cochins have single combs and feathered feet. They are usually sweet, they don't lay as many eggs as some other breeds such as Brahmas which are like Cochins but have longer legs and a pea comb, but Cochin hens are usually good moms. If they get too fluffly and you want baby chicks you'll need to trim the parents' vents.

Japanese have single combs and clean legs. They can be skittish, but some are friendly. They're considered "dainty", they have short legs but long tails and the roosters have large single combs that can get frostbite so if you keep a Japanese rooster you might need an insulated coop and put vaseline on his comb. The same may apply Cochin roosters depending on how big their combs get.

Cornish have pea combs and clean legs. They lay even less eggs than Cochins, averaging about 2 eggs a week. They were bred for meat because they have large breasts. They are stocky, considered the "Bulldog" of the chicken world. They have tight feathering so they would not be good for the cold weather although I think one source said theirs did ok. So far my Cornishes always kept to themselves.

Basically the fat looking, feather footed breeds usually are friendliest. The other breeds that look more like birds can be flighty but I say "usually" because each bird is different.

I like too many kinds to pick favorites but the ones that come to mind are lavender (also called self blue) d'uccles, they like to fly up on your shoulder. Dark brahmas I remember having two that loved getting "selfies"- looking into the camera when I took pictures. I had a silkie that was a nice pet who always stood next to her egg and announced that she laid it til I took it away unless she was broody. I had a really pretty silver pencilled Cochin hen I wish I'd kept...I had a pearl Old English and a blue quill Old English hen that were both very friendly, the blue quill loved to be petted. I had a buttercup patterned old english hen that flogged my dog when she had chicks even though the dog never bothered the chickens and was far away. I went to this chicken show and the cutest thing ever was a show quality dark cornish hen, it had huge eyes and a very stocky body, it looked like a cartoon.

There are about 400 breeds of chickens and many new bantams created - just the other day I read that someone was trying to rehome their bantam speckled sussex and we have a breeder of bantam Langshans. I never knew they existed. So I will just review those breeds for now lol

Last edited:
Here are some updated pics! Are the ones with bright red combs the roos? And the 3 grays ones, are they the same breed? One is more black with less white one it..

Attachments

• IMG_20180917_091655_297000.jpg
    IMG_20180917_091655_297000.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20180917_091744_063000.jpg
    IMG_20180917_091744_063000.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20180917_092137_396000.jpg
    IMG_20180917_092137_396000.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 44

Back
Top Bottom