Tractor Supply Chicks Not Being Taken Care Of

We've received a flood of reports on this thread and have closed it while our team reviews and takes action (removing posts, warning people that are breaking our rules, etc.) where needed.

While this thread is locked, it will give everyone an opportunity to read this:

We need peeps to do 2 things for us to keep it open:
  1. Try to have thick-skins. If you don't like something, try your best to just move past it.
  2. Only post things that are helpful, friendly, and appropriate. If you break our rules, you may get blocked from this thread, or even blocked from accessing BYC.

A Reminder Of Our Rules:

We require all our members to remain civil, friendly, and respectful in ALL their public interactions. If we notice you are breaking this rule (to which you agreed when signing up for BYC), we'll need to issue a warning and even potentially remove your access to our community.

Also, a reminder on best-practices:
  1. Again, if you see something that bothers you, try to have a thick skin and move past it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  2. If a post breaks our rules, report it. Definitely don't quote it and/or reply.
  3. Be friendly and supportive. Avoid posts, etc., that will cause contention. Our team will determine, at our discretion, what we feel is and isn't appropriate, so it's best to err on the side of caution and stay away from anything that might be interpreted as contentious, trolling, or otherwise breaking our rules.
Our AMAZING team is putting in a LOT of time and effort to keep things running smoothly. Please help make their jobs easier! (because at some point, the amount of work to keep this open won't be worth the time / stress to our incredible moderators).

Thanks again to all those that follow our rules and play nice!

I can't even look at the chicks in tractor supply anymore-it just makes me very sad and angry.last time I looked they had NO WATER.When I spoke up about it I got a snarky reply from the ignorant TS worker.I'll never go to that store again!!!

After seeing chicks tightly huddled under second or third tier from the top one Saturday, one chick of which had pasty butt, I went back a week and a half later when they got a new batch of chicks in our local Tractor Supply. It was a Thursday. Anyway, the same tier had chicks that were tightly packed under the heat pad, eyes closed, heads high trying to get closer to the heat. Since they were slow at the time I asked the front cashier to check the temperature of that tier. There was a paper type thermometer on top of the heating pad and she placed one about six inches from the chick group. The one on top of the heating pad showed 100 deg. F and the one six inches from the group was 90 deg. F. That's pretty good, considering I only use a 100 watt halogen bulb hanging from a hook in my large plastic dog kennel that I put chicks in during the first two weeks, which is in our house, so a heated space. A heat lamp would be too warm for them, and I soon switch out to a 75 w halogen bulb as the 100 watt gets too warm for them after a day.
I noticed some had splayed legs. I didn't pay attention to what breed they were, but they were your typical fluffs of yellow white chicks, and their heads seemed unusually long from back of head to beak, kinda weird looking for a normal chick. Maybe they were the heavy meat breed. Anyway, the two tiers below had chicks that seemed comfortable. The gal that helped me said that they added plastic extenders to the lower two heating pads which lowers the pad a couple of inches, and were waiting to get some of these clips for the one that had the white chicks that were huddled tightly. I talked to the manager and mentioned the noticeable miserable chicks in the second or third top tier (tiers above this were not being used) and she said another lady noticed and let them know something was wrong. She said she planned to move the tower brooder away from the front door and towards the back area where there was no draft from the front doors.
I'm trying to find a users manual for this Producer's Pride tower brooder. Our other source of feed is a co-op, and they have an older tower brooder with red heat lights in it, and it works fine, the chicks are always content when I see them in it, and it is in an unheated space. Obviously there's a difference in the feel of heat coming from a light bulb verses a heat pad.

these brooders are actually awesome and great for chicks! the problem is this year USPS is using fed ex to ship chicks which is leading to longer shipping times and rough handling, which in turn leads to things like pasty butt and a few other things commonly seen in chicks.
you'll find the majority (NOT ALL) of experienced breeders and hobbyists like these brooders much more than the tubs.
on top of the shipping issue many employees are not trained on how to take care of chicks or are simply overwhelmed and dont have enough time to.

newbies and innexperienced people are the ones complaining and trying to get rid of these brooders.
because of all the petitions TSC is going back to metal tubs sadly. i am curious as to what will happen with the brooders. i would take one or 5 in a heartbeat.

these brooders are actually awesome and great for chicks! the problem is this year USPS is using fed ex to ship chicks which is leading to longer shipping times and rough handling, which in turn leads to things like pasty butt and a few other things commonly seen in chicks.
you'll find the majority (NOT ALL) of experienced breeders and hobbyists like these brooders much more than the tubs.
on top of the shipping issue many employees are not trained on how to take care of chicks or are simply overwhelmed and dont have enough time to.

newbies and innexperienced people are the ones complaining and trying to get rid of these brooders.
because of all the petitions TSC is going back to metal tubs sadly. i am curious as to what will happen with the brooders. i would take one or 5 in a heartbeat.
I appreciate this post a lot, I wasn't sure if it was TSC employees, the brooders or what. I like that you could respectfully give your opinion :) I noticed when I went to my TSC that the chick days were over.. I can't wait to see what happens next spring :)

I appreciate this post a lot, I wasn't sure if it was TSC employees, the brooders or what. I like that you could respectfully give your opinion :) I noticed when I went to my TSC that the chick days were over.. I can't wait to see what happens next spring :)
i appreciate your reply! i was expecting to get attacked for my opinion, the poultry community can be ruthless lol

my tsc employees decided to keep the chicks in tubs in the backroom for the first few days for the chicks to recover from shipping before going out on the floor, which should be adopted nationally.

Back
Top Bottom