Tractor Supply Chicks

i actually have chicks from tractor supply as well but mine are bantoms. but i have has barred rocks and currently own buff orpingtons. your barred chicks dont exactly display enough barring to suggest barred racks but the rose comb does say dominque. as for your buff colored ones they are probably your sex link and the brown your production pullet as others have said and i see quite a bit of roosters. tractor supply sells all straight run only one sthey know are female the production pullets they sell. i found that in sexing them (whihc is what im goin through right now with my buffs) is that males will develop their combs first and you will also notice that some are producing their fethers slowing than others well the fuller more fluffier chicks are female and the males are the ones with more fuzz or pointer looking feathers. i may be wrong in some aspects but im just going based on the facts thats ive encountered. i hope this helps

The TSC near me carries pullets and straight run. We got our first chicks from there. They were in the pullet bin, one turned out to be a cockerel. Roosters, other than the straight run bins, are unintentionally sold.

I don't really see any but one that I think is a roo, at this point. I do see some that look almost exactly like my Barred Rock hen when she was a chick though.

Here, they sell "commercial black pullets" which are a mixed breeding of barred rock, Dominique, Australorp, etc. with emphasis on production rather than appearance. I suspect that's why yours look as they do. You probably have their black production pullets and their red production pullets. All are likely to be female but it will be obvious if any males slipped in around 7-8 weeks when either the combs have darkened and grown significantly or haven't.

I would never buy from tractor supply. My first experience with them, out of 6 barred rocks I got 5 roosters. I would recommend southern states. I got my last two batches from them and they were all pullets as indicated.
Do you mean TSC in southern states? I live in central TX and I got 1 too that was suppose to be a pullet.

Southern States is a farm store :)
Our TSC only sells straight run. Thought that was interesting!

Also, the brown one is a hatchery production red/RIR. Our boy looked like that, I even posted here confused since he was brown and I couldn't figure a breed for him (he came from a rare breed asst. :eyeroll: )lol. He turned red rather quickly!!

I went yesterday to get cat food and they had an empty bin of straight run Silver Laced Wyandotte, an empty bin of straight run partridge Rock, an empty bin of "red pullets", and a full bin with no signage whatsoever but obviously an assortment. The employees took care to ignore me as I explained to a couple standing there considering that any bin not specifically labeled "pullet" should be presumed a 50/50 mix of genders and that it looked to me like an assortment of hatchery leftovers sometimes called a "surprise special". They live in a neighborhood where roosters would not be welcomed so I urged them to wait for more chicks to be stocked in the pullet bin. I don't know why they carry so much straight run at a store in the middle of a suburban setting! :/

I'm pretty sure all your red/white chicks are Red Sex Links all female. The black ones...if you got them out of a bin not labelled pullets then you have a chance the all black ones could be Black Sex Link pullets, the black barred ones could be Black Sex link Roos or either sex of a Barred Rock..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom