Trading your eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 12GAGirl, May 20, 2010.

1. 12GAGirl

12GAGirl Songster

Feb 2, 2010
    I have yet to sell any of my extra eggs but yesterday my father traded a dozen and half eggs for some fresh squash and vidalia onions that he shared with us. I was wondering if anyone else trades their extra eggs for other stuff?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We do on occasion, when a neighbor does us a favor we usually pay them back in eggs.

3. rmc85

rmc85 In the Brooder

May 8, 2009
    I trade them to people at work. People have given me everything from fresh salmon to alcohol.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I give eggs to my land-lady (she approved the chicken keeping thing), an occasional dozen to my closest neighbor who SWEARS my rooster's crowing isn't a bother (nor is my dogs' barking at their really well-behaved dogs), to select people at work so I can show off "the results" of my turning into a crazy chicken lady, and to a co-worker who has done some very nice repair/assistance deeds for my land-lady and me.

Those are what I would consider to be "trading" but I haven't yet gotten "things" or "goods" in return for any eggs. Just good will or continued willingness to help with projects.

5. NewEnglandChick

NewEnglandChick Songster

Aug 13, 2009
    Midcoast Maine
    We don't trade much for food (since we grow our own) but we trade eggs for favors, labor, etc. We've also traded for top soil, mulch, etc. to enhance our growing gardens too.

I've always been a fan of bartering and am so glad that I finally have something easy (and delicious) that people seem eager to get their hands on!

6. ChickensRCool

ChickensRCool Chirping

Nov 8, 2009
    Alaska
    Over the years we have traded eggs for rocks, raspberries, babysitting services, peat, clothes, moose meat, and homemade bread. At one time we were giving extra eggs to family because they had 4 growing teenage boys. In return for a dozen eggs the father gave me a huge fresh king salmon (father was a commercial fisherman). When DH came home he said, "You realize that size salmon is going for $200 right now:eek: We decided that family should get all our extra eggs.[​IMG]

7. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Done lots of trading. Hay is the best thing that I get.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by