Traditional Serama

Hello!
frow.gif

Please pardon my impudence at interrupting this thread- I've been reading the Serama threads for a while, because I think they are so cute, though I have none of my own. I also had a random question I couldn't find the answer to.

Serama's have such a unique shape in the chicken world, and my question was, do they have a lot of health problems due to that shape?
It seems to me that the puffed-out chest leads to their internal organs being in a unnatural position may make them more suspectable to illnesses or injuries, like dislocated joints or impacted crops. Am I wrong or mislead?

Thank you if you choose to answer my question! Sorry again to interrupt!

Hello! :frow

Please pardon my impudence at interrupting this thread- I've been reading the Serama threads for a while, because I think they are so cute, though I have none of my own. I also had a random question I couldn't find the answer to.

Serama's have such a unique shape in the chicken world, and my question was, do they have a lot of health problems due to that shape?
It seems to me that the puffed-out chest leads to their internal organs being in a unnatural position may make them more suspectable to illnesses or injuries, like dislocated joints or impacted crops. Am I wrong or mislead?

Thank you if you choose to answer my question! Sorry again to interrupt!

Goodness, ask away....not a problem....
Let me see if I can answer you questions......to my knowledge the only real health problems or "flaws" within the serama breed is the possibility of egg laying problems and Sudden Death Syndrome. Now as to WHY this happens, I am not a vet/scientist but from my experiences, I FEEL that because of the "downsizing" of the breed as a whole over the course of time, it has lead to these things. They do not stand so straight and tall vertically all the time, sometimes they look just like any other chicken...with a few exceptions, some birds that just want to do this. It does not affect their internal organs,.
Think of them as the show-offs of the chicken world.. they like to say: "hey world, look at me, I'm smokin"...hope that helps alittle... LOL :)

Last edited:
I just started with seramas today. I have a question about color. Can their color be anything or no?ETA I found my answer. In the mean time I did come up with a new question. Can traditional seramas be shown at a show?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom