Tragedy for the Broody Hen - but a happy ending (Funny update added!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KYChixMama, Apr 23, 2011.

1. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    My poor black Silkie hen has been patiently sitting on eggs, they were due to hatch in 2 days. I gave her 10 to sit on, hoping half would be fertile but upon candling ALL were fertile! Mama is so dedicated that I have had to make her get up to poo and eat/drink each day. I bought 3 livestock watering troughs just for brooders - she's happily occupied one in the barn for weeks. Four days ago, our pony broke into the barn, made a huge mess of the feed area, and knocked her brooder over. I went to do chores, and she was in the barn trying to flog the pony, her brooder was a shambles and every egg was destroyed.

I tidied the barn back up and had a long talk with the pony, shed some tears with Mama, and tried to convince her that she should take a break, hang with her girls, then we'd try again. However, she has refused to leave the barn and rejoin her girlfriends in the coop. She insists on sitting in the empty trough, and won't listen to reason. So yesterday I was picking up some supplies at TSC and they received their chick shipment. I go to check over their new arrivals, and one box is full of very tiny assorted feather-footed bantams! I picked out some of the neatest color varieties, including a vaulted-skull silkie chick that appears to be a very pale buff with gray. Took them home, put them in the brooder with mama to see what would happen, crossesd my fingers, and 5 minutes later they were all under her while she clucked happily. So... I guess I'll be posting pics soon and asking for recommendations on our adoptee's breeds. Silkies are the only feather-footed bantams I have, so I've not a clue what these others are, besides cute.

We adore Mama, and I'm just so happy that a solution presented itself. She's the sweetest hen, even sweeter when broody (unless you're a pony), and was the only Silkie that survived the "Stray Dog Massacre of 2010". She has a very special place in our hearts.

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Sweet story! Can't wait to see the pics [​IMG]

Also: [​IMG]

3. TouchO'Lass

TouchO'Lass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oroville, Wa
    Awww. Sorry about the eggs, but so sweet that you found her some subs!

Yup, waiting for pics...[​IMG]

And oh yeah, [​IMG]

4. Momto3

Momto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Awww that is so sweet. I am sorry she lost her eggs, but glad she has some babies. [​IMG]

5. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    That certainly is a tragedy for your hen but what dedication. Such a touching story - your love for her is evident in your actions. KUDOS! [​IMG]

6. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Awww, I love sweet little Mama stories.

[​IMG]

7. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    We had 22 chickens last fall - our beginner flock. Some a friend gave me to get started, some I'd purchased, etc... Anyways I was home sick one day, all the dogs were in the house enjoying mom being on the couch with a blanket. This was an unusual day, because even our Australian Shepherd Toby (the farm protector), was inside with me. Apparently some stray dogs passed through our farm that afternoon and killed all but 4 of our chickens. None were mauled or eaten, just slaughtered. It was terrible. Mama was able to hide under the coop and avoid them - we didn't even know she was there until that evening, she'd hidden so well. The dogs also made the mistake of harrassing our neighbors livestock that same day, and he took care of them before we could. Unfortunately, it's a usual problem in KY, especially where we live. It's a common dumping area for dogs.

So.. Mama has been very special to me ever since.

8. Balbinka

Balbinka Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    California
    Quote:Oh no!

I am so sorry that happened (both the original post and this one).

But I am grateful that you and Mama are happy "parents" to this new set of babies.

9. Thegrayeyedgirl

Thegrayeyedgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    That is one of the most beautiful chicken stories I have ever read. The more stories I hear about silkies the more I like them...what a special mommy..[​IMG]

10. MeowCluckBark

MeowCluckBark Chicken Lickin' Good

Mar 28, 2011
    Boise, ID
    That is so sweet that you'd find her some babies to ease the loss of her well cared for eggs. She will be an amazing momma just like you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by