Tragic Accident Today Please help

countrygirl911

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Mississippi
well my broody hen is sitting on 4 eggs for 13 to 14 days now when she got up to eat and drink amd poo a RIR jumped in and smased an egg that was developing now she is down to 3 eggs. she is starting to stay of the nest more and acts like she is giving up on the eggs. it is 100 degrees here is this normal i do not want the other 3 to get damaged or messed up should i take the eggs away from her and go and buy a couple of chicks to put under her tonight and place the other 3 eggs in my incubator

I am not much help when it comes to hatching....but that may be one good idea...here is a BUMP to keep ur post on tops in hopes someone with more experience can help

Good luck and keep us posted

--laura--

just went out to check on her she was off the nest again for the 5th time today hubby had to put her back on i need to know if i should buy some chicks for her today and put them under her tonight

only concern is if she keeps getting up, she may very well not be interested and there for she will most likely do the same with the chicks, get up and leave them
I would take the eggs and hatch yourself.

Greetings, If you think she is neglecting the eggs or others will damage them when she eats. Take them and set them your bator.
As far as getting chicks to put under her, thats a whole new can of worms, she may not accept them and the other hens might kill them~~it's up to you, if you want go through that do it. Best of luck.

Richard

I agree with the other posts. I wouldn't bother getting chicks for her and I would take the remaining eggs and put them into the incubator. If the temp is 100 degrees she may need to cool off. This is just my opinion. Good luck and have fun!!!

One of my broodys left her nest too yesterday & never went back.... it is too darn hot. Take the eggs, stick them in your bator. good luck

If it's 100 degrees maybe the mommy hen knows the eggs don't need to be incubated by her as the weather is doing it for her...............

that is true did not think of that i just collected the eggs some were 2 days old because i was out of town yesterday and it was 100 degrees yesterday and when i cracked one open tonight to cook it had already started to develop the little bullseye was10 times its normal size when you look at it to see if the egg is fertile it also had blood in the center all but the ones that were laid late this afternoon looked like that my hens are a year old

My hen had a tough time staying on the nest when it was hideously hot and there was some concern about the other hens coming in and damaging the eggs -- so I crated her up and kept her in a cooler area with a fan nearby (not blowing on her, but to keep the air moving.) I keep small bowls of food and water within reach of broody hens at all times. In the crate she couldn't leave the nest so I would take her off twice a day for up to 30 minutes.

Your hen has only about a week to go -- It is likely be well worth your while to help her out some.

Jenny

Back
Top Bottom