Trail Riding Vacation

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by horsejody, Sep 14, 2010.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Sorry I haven't posted much recently. My job got in the way. I just wanted to tell you about pur vactation & my awesome souvenir. We took the horses to Custer State Park in South Dakota for a week. It was great. I really needed the break from work and studying. We rode all day almost every day through the park and surrounding areas. We rode up Harney Peak one day. Harney Peak is the highes spot east of the Rockies & west of the European Pyrenese mountains. It was beautiful.

While riding, we found a dead buffalo. It was rotting away. I told a park employee and asked if I could have the head. I was told to take it discretely. Discretion is necessary because others might want the same and hurt themselves or animals trying to get one. Well, we went back and got the rotting, stinking head. I brought it home and cleaned it. It's still in the bleaching and destinking process, but it's gonna be awesome. I'll post more pictures when it's done.

Yea, I know. You might be a reneck if you find a dead buffalo on the trail and bring the head home to clean and decorate your livingroom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    My redneck and his best friend found a moose head on the way home from Alaska (to PA). They put it in the back of the truck in a garbage bag. Maggot infestation. Camping on the way home was lots of fun!!

3. User66184

User66184 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    East Coast, Virgina
    Sa-weeeeeeet!!!

4. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    OK, I hate you now! Just kidding, but I am sooooo jealous! Of the trail riding, not the stinking buffalo head...We are going in October to the Big South Fork in east TN and cant wait! My dh and I rode for a couple of hours today, just to keep the horses tuned up, and us! Going again this weekend for a longer ride. I hope the weather is good! I'm loving these cooler night time temps!

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Do buffaloes have teeth on the top or have a mouth like a goat? Goats dont have teeth on top, just a tough memberane.

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Awesome!

I've been to Custer but never on horseback.

You'll have to post pics of the skull when it gets all bleached out.

7. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Custer is one of my favorite parks, I like Wind Cave too. It sounds like a great vacation and a major SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That will look so cool on your wall. I was also admiring the surefootedness of your horse.

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

" You might be a reneck if you find a dead buffalo on the trail and bring the head home to clean and decorate your livingroom."

Ya think?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    AWESOME! both the vacation AND the find!
    I just scored an old, ugly mounted deer head - it's so old they used the actual skull, not a plastic form, so I'm going to take the hide off and make a Texas mount out of the skull and horns - it has a nice set of horns!

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    What is a Texas mount?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by