Trailering... Tie or not to tie?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by FarmGirl01, Aug 2, 2008.

1. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have to haul my two mules on a 10 hour trip. We just bought a new stock trailer. It has a divider in the middle. I was going to put one mule in the front and one mule in the back. Doing a lot of research I have found that many experts disagree on the whole tying thing. I was just wondering what you guy think about this. Please give me you experiences and opinions. Thanks Gena.

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I tie, myself, but it is a personal preference.

I tie, mainly so the animal is under control at all times. That way when we stop and go to open the trailer the animal cannot rush out the door or pin me somewhere(which is what happened when one got loose in the trailer.)

-Kim

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I tie for short trips. But long - I'd not tie.

My horse was shipped from California to Nebraska last year and I paid EXTRA for a double size stall area so she wouldn't be tied and could turn, or lie down or whatever she wanted. Its really hard on an animal to be in one spot for so long.

4. Chickaree

Chickaree Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2008
    I tie my two horses but use trailer ties with quick release snaps. You could also tie a loop of bailing twine then tie the lead rope to that. If they panic the twine would break but the rope would still be attached. Are your mules use to being tied? That might be an issue in itself.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I don't tie my horses now, I used to though. I don't do much traveling with them either. I like to give them their 'head' so to speak when they are traveling so they can adjust to the trailer movements more easily. I have one that likes to stand backwards and watch outside the backend. The other likes to stand at an angle facing toward the front.

I do understand the concern about them getting out when you open the door or trapping you inside. You'd have to know your horses/mules well and have confidence that they wouldn't do either of those things. Mine don't. I've seen horses I wouldn't trust though.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I tie with a quick release bungee in my slant, but in my stock, I do not tie.

One of my horses likes to look out the back and see the sights!

You can still get a rope on your animal before you let them out in most stock trailers. Usually there is a slider door on door that swings open and you can use that to put a halter/lead rope on them.

7. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    My 27 yoa TB is claustrophobic in a small trailer and will stress out, sweat, and fall down repeatedly if hauled that way. My QH had only been hauled once as a yearling when he was delivered to me 6 yrs ago (it took 2 men 4 hrs to even get him in the trailer and then he had to spend the night in there because there was no way they were going to let him out and try to get him in again the next day). When I moved to my current location 5 years ago I decided to rent a 4 horse stock trailer to bring them both up here (about a 100 mile ride). As we were loading I could tell my TB was getting stressed but got him into the front compartment and was going to tie him because that's the way you're supposed to haul them "safely". When I saw this was upsetting him I decided to just turn him loose up front and see what would happen. With the extra space he started to settle down immediately. My QH thought about it nervously for a few minutes but saw his buddy inside and decided to take a chance and get in. I left him loose too and they both settled down even more. My TB rode facing backwards the whole way home and my QH rode facing whichever way it suited him at the time. When we arrived both of them were calm and even my TB did not get anxious at all. If ever I have to haul them again that's the way I'll do it- loose in two separate compartments. Good luck with your move - Leigh

8. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Well I'd tie, but real loose though.

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Thats so much for the quick response. They are used to being tied by the trailer on rides. I used to have a two horse (side by side). I would just send them in and shut the door. They couldn't turn around . Not enough room. They are real slow about getting out of the trailer. Its a mule thing. Very careful with their feet.

10. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I would tie with a breakaway halter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by