Training Behavior?

OutdoorFun4

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Southern Maine
I have a run big enough for my birds but want to let them range when we are able to watch over them.

My thought is to always give them treats in the run and either ring a bell, or clang pie plates, as a signal that it is snack time. (Pavlov) My hope is when we have to leave in the middle of the day we can bring treats to the run...ring the bell... and the girls can be safely put away.

Will this work?? I am hoping so... since I already sold my wife on the concept!

Last edited:
I think it will work

I also put food in a bright yellow bucket and when they see the bucket or the shed door opens they come a runn'in
lol.png

As long as you are consistent and give them treats every time you ring the bell, it should work fine. If you ever use this trick to get them inside so you can do something unpleasant to them, like dust them for lice, give them time to settle down after getting them in the run so they don't associate the bell with anything unpleasant. I'd think 5 minutes would be plenty.

Thanks for the advise... My treats will be served in a recognizable container and no unpleasant tricks!
Wait 'til the neighbors get a load of this!
cool.png

Whatever you do be consistent, repetitious. I talk to my birds. They know by my voice that it's treat time and come running. They actually trip over themselves, each other and try to trip me for treats. It doesn't matter what you do only that you are consistent with whatever you do.

It will totally work. They are smart and extremely food motivated. All mine need to do is look up and see me walk outside and they come a-runnin'. Sure comes in handy when I need to put them away...

Outdoorfun4 I love your idea. I don't free-range but will be expanding my run and was wondering how to collect the girls if I need to get them in. I work shift work (rotating- week on/week off) and was concerned about trying to herd them all in at some odd time on the days that I work. Obviously I don't want to leave them locked up when I'm home just because I have to go to work in a few hours. I'll try the combination recognizable container and some sort of consistent sound (HEY HORSES has always worked for my horses so maybe I can just yell something at the birds). Thanks for the great idea!

Back
Top Bottom