Training chickens to go back in the coop

Our birds know the scratch cup and come scrambling back to the run after just a couple shakes of it. All 30 have picked it up but some were faster than others.

There are a few keys I've learned. We only give treats/scratch in the run or coop and in small amounts. So if they're ranging and want any goodies, they gotta come back before they miss out. We also use the same large brightly colored cup so there is both a visual and audible cue for them to notice. Routine helps, as others have mentioned. It's easiest to get them to come back as it gets dark or at the same time each day, although ours will return whenever at this point. And lastly, finding the right treat is key. Ours aren't crazy about meal worms but go nuts for a certain scratch. Try a few different snacks out.

It can certainly be a challenge so I do feel your pain. I have a barnevelder who occasionally stays out too late and sleeps in a big bush. She will come in for her scratch, have the gate close behind her, and then be gone by bedtime headcount not too long later. I was very confused how it kept happening until we recently caught her flying over the 6 foot fence to range more right before bed. I also have a cream legbar that will occasionally change which of our 3 coops she returns to and sleeps in based on where she sees the best opportunity to hog scratch.

Never a dull moment. Best of luck!

That is a good point!
I start with little treats in the run also so I can determine what they like.
I use the same pail to bring treats and feed to the coop. I use a pail so when I call "chick, chick, chick" they come running, the pail is big enough I can even shake the pail so that they hear something rattling, I have tried other pails and they respond to every pail the same way no matter the color because it is a pail. Try using the same container for treats.
Try sunflower seeds (shells are okay) as a treat to see if they prefer this or some scratch.

I use cracked or rolled corn. As many suggested call chick chick chick or what ever word or noise you want. Train on it first as soon as you let them out making your call just scatter it on the ground.
Now remember corn is to be used sparingly, I only use it as a treat, 10 pounds lasts me months. One or two small handfuls for 6 pullets works for me. Do this for a few days to hook them. After that as suggested while they have been free ranging before or at dusk make your move using your calling through the corn in the coop door. Stand back let them get in. I also shake the bag or bottle as I call. I find a cleaned large peanut butter bottle (remember 1 or 2 SMALL handfuls) shaken every time you call helps as well. That noise alone will excite them.

Back
Top Bottom