Training chickens to go in at night...

if u wait till its dark, they learn to just stay out. My two hens never want to go into the coop at night. I was stressing about this but then i thought of the plus side; We have no predators because of our game fence, and no worry letting them out in the morning, but they still go into the coop to lay eggs and eat and drink. I still wish they'd go into the coop, I'm working on it. Its a good idea to put them up at about 6:30 with a can of scratch but i didn't raise my hens from chicks so they're less cooperative. all these solutions above are great ideas.

Thats a really good idea! ill talk to my dad about that. But my little rooster always follows me around (he's my BAE) so that makes it easier cause his hens follow him. lol

We have 8 chickens that were not going into coop at night. I shut them up in there for 3 days and now they go in every night. Do get some meal worms and when you go to the chickens, shake the bag. They get use to getting the treats with the shaking of the bag and come running. Try and see how it works. This is my first time with chickens also. Learning something new everyday. Good Luck,

i will do this, I've heard it works many times. my hens will be mad though cause the chicks go out and not them! lol

I'm hoping this is the right forum to post this in -- if not, please forgive me!

I just moved my chickens outdoors on Sunday, so I know this will take some time. They're 7.5 weeks old in a temporary coop (this one from Tractor Supply - got the floor model $100 off) while I finish building my bigger coop & run.

My problem is... I'm spending 15 minutes every night trying to round up my girls and get them INTO the coop! Because the "run" attached to the coop is SOOOO small, I can't step INSIDE it to catch them. So it's a big ordeal and I know it's stressing my birds out. My buff orpingtons are easier to catch because they are friendlier but I also have 2 production reds that are much more skittish and they're especially rough to catch!!

I know I read that you should leave your chickens shut INSIDE the coop for a few days before letting them out so that they know where home is -- but the coop is small enough that my food/water doesn't fit inside. So that doesn't really work. 

I'm shutting them up for the night at dusk -- should I try waiting until it's darker outside?

Any other tips/tricks?

This is my first time with chickens, so forgive me if these are silly questions!

If they know what mealworms are shake the bag and watch them run. Throw a handful inside their house and see if it works!

I had this problem last year with my girls; they were about 7 weeks then and they are my first chickens. They are so funny, aren't they?
I was trying to shoo them in at dusk, too. I did this for maybe a week, unsuccessfully, before someone said it had to be DARK, not dusk. So the next night I waited until fully dark to go out and check. Sure enough, they were in the coop.
I did also put in a lower roost and steps to get to it (not sure if the steps were necessary, but whatever!), because I discovered they couldn't fly up to the taller roost yet.
And my girls will have nothing to do with mealworms. I got a bag because I heard hens go crazy for them, threw a handful in the run and was rewarded with fear and panic. The only things they love are kale (only kale...not lettuce, cabbage, or similar), and sunflower seeds.
Good luck! Chickens are particular sometimes, but that's just part of their charm. Right? Right? ;)

Try live meal worms! They will go crazy. You can buy them at the pet store, but is much cheaper online. I am growing my own meal worms because they can get expensive and live is always better!

I shoo my Golden Sexlinks up the ramp every evening using the same sounds. Shoo, shoo and just keep making that sound and they will learn it as time to go in to roost or go in period if they are out in the run. I have all of my flock trained this way and I trained with a 1/2" PVC pipe about 5' long. I use simply as a visual as I shoo them and to cut them off if they try to bypass the coop or won't go in the door. It works just be persistent. Good luck!
1f413.png
1f44d.png

Back
Top Bottom