Training chickens to go in at night...

mandi224
I live on a section of lowland, creek, wetland, and ridge. Some of it arable, some aint. Our acre sized chicken pen is in our backyard. I have chickens that can be traced back to my families flocks over 50 years ago and probably more. Of course I've got new lines too. lol
A few years ago I bought 40 hens from a Hutterite colony egg production facility. I paid %0.50 each for them. They were 16months old. They'd been 7 crammed into a 1&1/2ft X 2ft battery cages pretty well all their lives.
Any how, when I got them home and in the pen with the other 40 chickens of various ages the new ones looked so pitiful with their pink combs and pale legs and all they did was find a piece of fence to lean on. That first night I was catching them all 1@ a time and put them in the coop, which was fairly easy since they didn't attempt to run away from me. My wife(a town girl) asked me what was wrong with them. I told her all this is different to them.
The next morning I had to put them all outside again. That evening the same. Next morning about 1/2 came out with the rest of the old flock.
Again my wife questioned me about our new layers. My answer,"My dear, them chickens been locked up all their lives. They don't know how to be chickens." Of course the mother(of my children)was concerned about their chances of survival. I think I kind of remember the words "they're so stupid" which isn't as maternal. When she asked what we were to do I informed her the other chickens will teach them how to be regular barnyard chickens.
my point.... I let older chickens teach the young ones. If you could do that it's a whole lot easier.
Also, I find live worms to entice my chickens. It kicks their instincts I think.
Upon seeing all the responses to you I realize I may be "Johnny come lately" but I hope this helps. If not I guess it's kind of a cool short story anyways and I hope you enjoyed it.
smile.png

These are all really great tips and I'm sure they'll work so I plan to try them when I get chickens soon, especially locking them in the coop and the mealworms, but I'm really conceened they wont want to go back to their coop as its kind of far away. Anyone have this issue?

Here's a brief yard tour video and some pictures in case you dont want to watch a video.

Our yard:

View of front yard/bowl from hill

Front yard

Hill where chickens would probably be

One of my 18 MO pullets sleeps on the floor, the other sleeps with the big girls. Any ideas? I've watched her and she stares at the roost and cries...

If you leave them out long enough they take themselves eventually. I was roundin up my chicks at 730-8pm but I noticed at 830 one night They put themselves to bed in the coop! I wasn't allowing them enough time to go to bed. Once you put them in the coop after week they should just go on their own.

Back
Top Bottom