Training Chickens to Lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cheeptrick, Sep 12, 2007.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ok...my girl has laid an egg everyday and everyday came to get me. She is so proud...as am I! Been showing those eggs all over town. [​IMG]
    My question is...Can you really train a chicken to lay where you want them to? Others have posted NO to that affect...
    But when my girl lays she comes and gets me and I give her a treat...which she shares with the rest. So is this just coincidence or am I going to train them all like this?
    My treats have been oats...sprinkled on the ground! She's laying around 2pm everyday...so its getting that time for her to come a hollaring! I'll tell edit this post if she does it again today...she's been like clockwork Sun - Tues!!
    [​IMG]

2. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Yeah, sure. Try putting golf balls in the nesting boxes (I'm assuming you'd want them to lay there. [​IMG] ) It really depends on the chicken, but they should get the idea pretty quickly.

Did I answer your question? I was kind of confused as to whether you meant when or where. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  3. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I vote for the golf balls too! I put one in each nest box about 3 or 4 weeks before they started laying - haven't found an egg outside of the boxes yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by