1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Training Chickens to new area?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Yessabub, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Yessabub

Yessabub New Egg

Sep 16, 2011
    Im going to be taking in 3 chickens and 2 guinea fowl that were abandoned at a house. The are already trained to there area you can tell because they roam the area but when they want food or when its night time they know how to get home. Im in the process of building a coop and fenced in area for them at my house. My question is how do i get them to stay at my house once i bring them home soon? I heard because its a new area they will try to find there old home and i dont want them to take off.

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I would teach them a call, when they come reward them with Treats!
    Then if you feel they are straying to far, you can call them. the should come running.

However if your have a run for them, I would keep them in it for a few days to get use to the new home.

let me know how it goes. [​IMG]

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    how far are you moving them? The closer their original home, the longer I would keep them penned. Usually a week minimum when I move in new birds, to let them learn their way around the coop and run and start putting themselves to bed. Then I would let them out for only a few minutes, right before bedtime. Then I increase the time from there.

Guineas are a different story. I've been told to keep them penned for at least EIGHT weeks if they are adults. Guinea travel a lot more than chickens as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by