Votes: 8 12.1%
  • no, my chickens are already trained

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • no, I don't think it will work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, I am going out the door right now

Votes: 8 12.1%

• Total voters
Thanks for all the Tips, can't wait to try them. My Girls are now about 8 weeks old and I could hold them previously but lately
they run from me. Will try several of these ideas and hope for the best!

you should check youtube for chicken training videos.. there are several where they use clicker training to train adult chickens to pick out various shapes and colors on command

ep.gif
OMG!!! I'm a chicken whisper and didn't even know it!!
big_smile.png

I started this on Monday with our girls (we picked them up on Saturday) and they're already eating from my lap and climbing all over me to get at the food 3 days later. Seedless grapes are defiantly a hit treat in our coop.

I've hatched most of the chickens in my garden so they're all realy friendly.
I keep polish chickens, they have big pom-poms on their heads so can't see very well. When I first got them I didn't now I was training them but when I went in the garden I would click my toung like you would with a horse to tell them I was going to give them a treat, they learnt quickly to recognise the noise that means treats
Now when they here the back door slidding open the all run towards it and crowd round waiting for treats. In the summer I go in the garden with a book and lay down, my chickens will forage around me for a bit and the friendlyist ones will sit on my back to sunbath.

I've ordered a clicker that you would use for dogs and should be getting it soon, I'm planning on trying to train the smartest ones to peck a coloured spot ext to just see what I can get them to do.

My chickens fravourite food is peeed sunflower seeds.
Here's a pic of them running rowards the back door once they here me,
wee.gif

Just got five 4-week-old chicks on Saturday and started "training" without knowing it! First, I started by just sitting with them in their coop for the first two days and then went on to give them little crumbs of cracker (I'd sit it down, tap my finger on the surface, then remove my hand so they'd feel safe to investigate).

Yesterday, I tried the cracker crumb trick with rice-sized pieces of fresh grapes and had all of them eating out of my hand and two of them in my lap in about 30 minutes!

The trick is to be consistent (try for at least once daily), patient (they'll come around eventually), and talk to them in the same tone/voice when you greet them and feed them. Now most of them are rushing to the coop door when they hear me coming, wondering what tasty snacks I'll have for them this time!

So worth the small investment of time to have easy-going chicks.

Back
Top Bottom