Training dogs to leave ducklings alone

I was lucky to have a dog born around the time I started incubating my duck egg. When I started introducing the duckling to him and his mother, it was a few weeks old and dogs didn't really know what it is. Well, mamma dog knew, but she was afraid of everything and she is smart and knew that duckling is my pet and acted accordingly. She rather moved away from the little pecker than get in the way of it's tiny but lightning-speed feet. Pup was different, he is not afraid of anything and is extremely playful. He did respect the duckling drake, however, and the drake knew that from the early beginning . Drake would jump towards him, biting him gently and playing with him - dog would usually leave him alone to have some peace and quiet, but sometimes, when the drake get older, he would gently fight him. When the dog managed to push him to the ground using his paw, the drake got even more into it and started talking. At that point my dog usually ran away - not scared, he just didn't want to play that way I guess.

When some asshole stole that drake from me, I ended up with 3 ladies that had zero affection towards me and wouldn't even come near me. They were afraid of anyone, except the drakes (both stolen by presumably same MOFO) and interestingly, my dogs who were often being chased around by the drake I hatched. When the drakes were gone, I even saw them offering themselves to the small dog as if he was drake. :)
I used the dogs to control them at least a little bit. If I made dogs bark, ducks would come (they don't do that anymore, but now they know I'm their master and I give them food).

There are a few things you need to have in mind. Some dogs, especially older will be just too attracted to duck chase to resist it. I doubt it can be solved easily. When my dog was small, and the duckling even smaller, I introduced them and they got close - if the dog (even playfully) jumped into the duckling, I threw myself between them and pushed the dog away. He did that a few times and then stopped. His mouth never even came close to the duckling (or later duck). Like I said, I was lucky he was still extremely young.
Always be there to see what they are doing if they are close together. Make sure your dogs know ducks are not toys and that they are yours. If they go into an attack stance, make sure to do something they don't like. Yell at them and close them somewhere if you have to.

PS: sometimes ducks can be bitchy too and can attack dogs and humans. Especially drakes. In that case, I can't even imagine how hard it is for a dog to resist attacking the duck. I have seen it with my ducks and dogs when the ducks chased my dogs away from the vole hole as they were catching the voles. Dogs would show teeth to drake as if that would scare him - it did not. He chased them away and they could only just cry with that annoyed dog sound. (ducks did not eat voles from that hole, but they did exterminate worms, slugs and insects from the soft soil the dogs offered) :D

Oh, one more thing I remembered!
A few weeks ago, a small dog I don't know darted into three ducks. My dogs saw that and went towards him with the speed of a bullet. The younger dog pushed the attacking dog to the ground and chased him away. That small dog was squeaking like a wounded animal.
Ducks ran directly into their house after that and the dogs back home :)

I'm curious as well - I have two middle-aged dachshunds (7 and 8 years old).

I've never seen them go after anything aggressively (except a toy or two). However when I got the younger dog, our older one obsessively licked him for the first few weeks. He did the same thing when we brought home a young kitten. Never bit either of them, but was weirdly obsessed with licking them until they were drenched.

Hopefully we can keep a good eye on our dogs (and the now adult cat) and make sure everything stays friendly.

Time will tell ... :confused:

I have 3 mini dachshunds and can vouch the prey drive is strong in them when you have anything peeping So keep the dogs away from the duckling unless they are well supervised. Once my ducklings and chicks stop peeping they aren't as interested in them but I still keep an eye out until the birds are adult size.

Thank you @Miss Lydia ... I've heard that small dogs can be just as dangerous as big ones (if not more, since you often don't suspect them). It's always helpful to hear what people have experienced with similar breeds.

I plan to have their brooder completely enclosed and the doxies are crated if I'm not home, so we should be safe while they're small. My biggest worry is when we eventually let them outside. Although if the ducks aren't in their enclosure (safe from dogs/cats/other predators) it will be because my partner or I are supervising ...

I'll keep a good eye on everyone! :pop

I say from experience my doxies have been around poultry all their lives they are now 10,9,8 one day I didn't get the gate closed all the way I turn around and here comes my dachshund with one of the ducklings in his mouth through the dog door. Lil thing was dead. That was very hard to get over. Just always better to be safe than sorry. I am sure you'll take care to be safe. Just hate for someone else to have to go through that.

You can try negative reinforcement whenever the dog comes near the ducklings, and when he gets too rambunctious, or starts lunging at the ducklings or something, whack him on the head with an empty 2 liter bottle. Our breeder said to do that when our GSD would jump up at us. But not much can overcome a dog's instincts to kill. Either keep your ducks in a safe, dog proof pen, or lock the dogs up.

@littlecollier
Licking is usually showing affection and care. When my dog had a puppy, she would lick the hell out of him. They both still do that (licking-cleaning each other) after a year but not intensive like in the beginning. Is your dog male or female? I'd guess female with strong maternal instinct. :)

@Miss Lydia So so sorry you went through such a traumatic experience. That sounds incredibly upsetting. :hit

@Ducktown They're both male, and they're still very affectionate with each other, like you guessed. He did the same thing to the kitten who is a grown-up lady cat now, though he doesn't care much about her. He's a bit of a strange dog, for sure.

;)

The dachshunds I had before these were brother and sister and the sister would lick her brothers face till he'd growl at her to make her stop she was OCD about it.

Back
Top Bottom