Training for automatic door....

ch1ckenmama

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2016
We put in a ADOR automatic chicken door over the weekend. The first night all chicks went in but 1. So I had to let it in. Now, everynight at least 6-8 chicks get ontop of the nesting boxes outside and dont want to go in. They all cuddle up and ready for bed. How do we train them to go inside before the door closes. ? Weneven have it programed to open back ip as a last call to go in. I always end up opening the door and letting them in. Is this something they just have to learn and I just leave them out? They are in a fully covered run. Im not sure the right way to teach them.

I would physically place them back in the coop for a few day...
they should catch on pretty soon.

I would physically place them back in the coop for a few day...
they should catch on pretty soon.
Only 2 left out today. When the door opened for last call, I put them on the ground and they went right in. They know what to do just have to catch on. Thanks for you reply

Perhaps have it set to close later? Hubby installed an automatic door for my main coop a couple of weeks ago. I love it. But, my chicks are in the old coop, and a bunch of rebels have decided they would rather sleep out in the secure run. I just may start letting them do so in an other week or two, since there are so many of them. Every night, I go out and scoop the rebels up and toss them into the loft with the sensible ones.

Back
Top Bottom