Training puppy to leave chickens alone? P.S Look at my puppy.

cluckcluck42

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Quebec
We just got a German Sheperd mix puppy and he is the most adorable little guy. His name is Poncho and he is fantastic. Well, what do I do to train him to leave the chickens alone? Already he wants to play with them and won't listen to me when I pull him away. This is only his second day here and we want to get started on training him from the beginning. Should I get a haltie to better control him? How do I teach him that just like the cats, the chickens are family and not playthings.

Btw, he has not had one accident in the house! What a good boy!

All insight is very much appreciated.

Oh and, edited to add:

Here, look at my puppy!!

42359_new_puppy_018.jpg

42359_new_puppy_024.jpg

Last edited:
I usually get a nice old game hen with chicks to break my puppies from chasing chickens. It usually takes one good noisy flogging to help them decide that chickens aren't fun.

He's adorable! I love Shepherd mixes. Although he may know right from wrong (with you instilling it in him!) you still have to remember he's young and ambitious. He may not mean to hurt them intentionally, but the young ambitious part takes over. Just don't get too confident, if you know what I mean. I took a picture of my dog (see avatar) with a week old chick on his head. But, when it comes to them peeping, and running about, I'm not going to get too confident!
smile.png

Cute pup
smile.png

We trained our GSDs to leave chickens alone using a shake can. Use a shake can for other bad habits too, like harrasing the cats. You fill an empty coke can with pennies or marbles and then tape the whole can up with duct tape. When the pup is engaging in the behavior you don't want, like chasing chickens or harrasing cats, throw the can and aim to hit. It's not going to harm them, it's not heavy enough.
Haven't had to even pick the can up for awhile, as both boys are now trained to a level we are pleased with.
Having said that, I don't leave my dogs unattended with my chickens, adults or chicks. It only takes one time.

I usually get a nice old game hen with chicks to break my puppies from chasing chickens. It usually takes one good noisy flogging to help them decide that chickens aren't fun.

This does work. A protective roo works too. When we have pups I get them out to the barn at about 6 weeks old. I let them nose around and eventually they will run into a hen or roo that will lay down the rules with them. It's a lesson that stays with them.
Your pup might be a little too old for that. When introducing new dogs or older pups to poultry, the first thing I do is pick up a chicken and let them smell it's butt and investigate it good. If I don't hold the chicken for them they try to check them out themselves and the chicken runs away and then the dog will chase it. So to prevent the chase from getting started I just hold the chicken for them to check out.
After that they get scolded each time they head towards a chicken. Usually after they get a chance to check a chicken out up close their curiosity is satisfied and they will leave them alone.
He is cute! Good Luck!​

Thanks for the info.I do have a silkie rooster who is very docile,will see if he will protect his ladies when Iget the pup.It is a sheltie,spaniel,border collie mix.Won`t be here for another few weeks

Looks just like my little shepard lab beagel mix. Yes that is right a little bit of beagel. Made training around chicks tough. Her nose gets her in so much trouble. Just determination and patience did it for me. I watched so closely over her and she got it, now she does great with them. Good luck and great lookin puppy.
smile.png

I don't know about you guys but, I have two GSD'S mixed breeds and I find it hard with their chase/prey drive. I never leave them unattended. Most times when I tell them someone or an animal is family they obey. But, when a chicken, bird, bee, etc... are running flying by it is really hard to get them not to focus and what to chase. I have two cats and unless they are running my dogs ignore them. The minute they are running the dogs follow suit with a chase. They don't hurt the cats but, can't help that prey drive. With all that being said I would NEVER EVER leave my dog's unattended with my chickens. I did it one time thinking my pup would never ever do it and he did. I can't blame him either b/c this is what is in his blood. Good luck with your training and remember don't ever leave them unattended or something might happen
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom