1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Training" to follow?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by barred2rock, Mar 6, 2017.

1. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it possible/likely to "train" chickens to follow you around the property (unfenced) to give them a chance to free range with your protection from predators? How would you go about this? Thanks in advance...

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Use a can full of treats like scratch, shake it every time before you give some, otherwise saying whatever words you want before handing out any treat will condition chickens to the word and that it means goodies.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    There may be some additional trick to it. During summer I can get individual adults to follow me about by periodically giving the bird a large insect morsel captured as I walk about. A group of young stags (about 5 months old) will follow me about if I walk slowly and expose ground by moving dead grass with my feet. The stags in that situation are treating me like a harem master. Another more reliable although not what you want is to take birds habituated to me to a location they are not familiar with such as a soccer field or park. The birds follow me around very well not unlike dogs. I take advantage of this when I take birds with a dog out to events where chickens and dogs are to be displayed for educational purposes.

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ehh....maybe, kinda....but I wouldn't count on it too much.
    Predators can hit even with human presence.

5. CP Chicken

CP Chicken Crazy about Turkens

Feb 25, 2017
    Gallifrey
    That's a really cool idea to train a chicken to follow you around but I'm not sure if it's possible!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't think the issue would be keeping them close so much as addressing the predator part. If you've got a big predator load, it's still going to be iffy. Unless you've got a good dog, or a gun, or are extremely vigilant with a big stick or something, a wily predator can still snatch a bird almost right out from under you. We've seen video here of that....someone was just taking a video of their flock free ranging, the birds were all close, and a fox came out, grabbed a hen and took off, all before the person could react. Remember, the predator's lives literally depend on getting something to eat, so they're very good at it.

7. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    A fair portion of it depends on what your property looks like.

Chickens, like most animals, are motivated by food and can be trained using the promise of treats. If they just equate you to being a walking candy dish, they'll follow you. My chickens come when called because they know "chk-chk-chk" means viddles. So following you around isn't the hard part.

My property is an island. I'm hundreds of yards from the nearest woodline or fencerow. This time of year, a predator has to cover a minimum of 150 yards of wide open, barren ag field to approach the property. Even the most ambitious coyote doesn't want to do that, if I'm out there or not. But from May to October, when the crops are up, they have some cover to make an approach.

You just have to know your spots.

1 person likes this.
  8. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks all... I best keep them penned, I've seen coyotes as close as 30 yards to my front door & a black bear climb a tree (running from a neighbors dog) 5 yards from my place. I do have a dog, but she's all of 12 lbs & probably would like a taste herself.

9. uzisuzuki

uzisuzuki Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    I've got mine "trained" to come when I call them and shake their snacks in their bowl, but I wouldn't rely on that to protect them from the predators. Mostly because I'm usually not near cover for them to be protected from predators.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Bears?!
    You might want to seriously think about hot wire around your coop and run....bears love chicken feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by