Trampled Duckling

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
This morning I found one of my 2.5 week old ducklings on its side, and it couldn't get up. She had dug a trench around herself (It looked like a dust bathing hole.) so I think she had been there awhile. When I lifted her up, she couldn't stand by herself, leaning heavily on my hand. (Even though she is terrified of people.) Her wing looks like it doesn't have anymore feathers/fluff on it. Whereas also very dirty. I gave her a bath (which she drank half of.) And gave her food and water. She is currently wrapped up in a towel under a heat lamp. She can wobbly stand on her leg, but when I tried to put her with the rest she got trampled and fell down. She is the runt, just half the size of the others. I don't think she can survive with everybody else, but she misses her friends. What should I do? I've been giving them niacin, so I don't think it is leg troubles. Then others are fine.

She needs to continue in a safer place, with poultry vitamins and electrolytes and if possible probiotics.

Glad you rescued her.

She may do well with one buddy, perhaps two. But not the crowd (how many are there?).

Fresh food and water, and propped up with washcloth, give her a little time. Elfie was "behind" for several months. Now she's right there, smart and strong as any Runner we have.

She is now by herself in my laundry room with food with niacin and water with electrolytes. She has a stuffed animal to snuggle with, I might try bringing another duckling up and see what happens. (I have 6.) It figures her best friend is the biggest one! She is drinking and eat by herself. (They are easily within reach and her stuffed chicken friend is perfect to support her.) She has attempted to preen, so she's feeling pretty good.

Ducky (Not officially her name...but that's the first thing we called her so it probably will end up being her name. :p ) is doing better! She can stand now, and walk a little bit, though she's still a little wobbly. She is already spoiled rotten, and pequacks (Not quite a peep but not quite a quack!) at me when I'm in the room until I pick her up. She loves her snuggles! Which is funny, because 24 hours ago she was terrified of people. Now she hates being put down! She nibbles on EVERYTHING! My clothes, my cheek, my earring. That felt funny. Not letting her do that again! She doesn't like my hair. :p

Ducky (Not officially her name...but that's the first thing we called her so it probably will end up being her name. :p ) is doing better! She can stand now, and walk a little bit, though she's still a little wobbly. She is already spoiled rotten, and pequacks (Not quite a peep but not quite a quack!) at me when I'm in the room until I pick her up. She loves her snuggles! Which is funny, because 24 hours ago she was terrified of people. Now she hates being put down! She nibbles on EVERYTHING! My clothes, my cheek, my earring. That felt funny. Not letting her do that again! She doesn't like my hair. :p
Earrings can be eaten pretty quick so keep the ears away from Ducky if you have them on. Glad to hear she is doing so much better. Sounds like you have become her buddy, I would rotate the other ducklings [one or 2 ]at a time to spend some time with her so when she is able to go back with the crowd they won't be so apt to pick on her they will all be new to each other. Give her plenty of time to get her legs under her and strong enough to handle the rst so you don't find her like you did before.

I've been sure to keep little things away from her now that I know she will try to eat everything. I might try bringing her up a friend today now that she is doing a lot better. We will see.

I have a runt in my flock of 10 who go trampled and eventually developed what appear to be permanent leg problems. What I did for her when she was little was create a separate but attached "room" with wire walls (I used hardware cloth because it is sturdy and easy to bend into shape) inside the brooder for her. That way she could be be with everyone else but no one could trample her.

I hope she continues to improve and thrive -- but I would still follow Amiga's advice because the runts seem to have a hard time properly metabolizing nutrients sometimes so they need all the help they can get.

Today her leg is doing still better. In fact, she tried to jump out of the brooder to see me. :) I gave her a buddy, the one duckling she hung out with most. I'll have to post a picture to show you the size difference. It's crazy. They get along well, no trampling, just snuggling. Ducky stands fine, but sometimes she sits back on her haunches, from her "knees" (were the fuzzy and scaly part of her leg meets) and her feet, but not laying down. She can walk fairly well, still kind of clumsy.

Back
Top Bottom