Transfer to new home, help

NikkiCole5

Chirping
Mar 4, 2015
I have a family member that wants some of my ducks, they are 3 months old and used to being outside already. I have never done this before and I need help figuring out the safest way to transfer them. She lives 9 hours away and is coming to visit us. I would really appreciate help on how to safely get them from here to there with no problems. Thank you so much.

Please don't just take my advice, maybe try looking some information up.online about traveling with ducks. I would assume they'd be ok as long as they didn't get too hot, had water at all times, and were able.to.also be fed at least once or twice. Were they going to be in some kind of carrier? They will poop a lot probably do not want to feed them any bugs a day or so before they go or their poop will smell really really bad. Duklings get shipped around to different places so I would think it'd be ok for older ones too. But again id do more research before just jumping into it

Last edited:
Please don't just take my advice, maybe try looking some information up.online about traveling with ducks. I would assume they'd be ok as long as they didn't get too hot, had water at all times, and were able.to.also be fed at least once or twice. Were they going to be in some kind of carrier? They will poop a lot probably do not want to feed them any bugs a day or so before they go or their poop will smell really really bad. Duklings get shipped around to different places so I would think it'd be ok for older ones too. But again id do more research before just jumping into it

I have 2 weeks to get advice :) just wanted to post a little early to get a few responses :)

I found this through Google but not to much else on traveling ducks. Hope it helps!

http://www.liveducks.com/travel.html

When I went to pick up my ducks I took a large dog cage (looks like a dog house but has metal door and oval vent wholes through out the entire thing). I fit 4 full grown Muscovys in it. However my drive was about a half hr. They pooped a decent amount and made all sorts of hissing noises I assume from being scared and not knowing me. Good luck I hope they have a save ride and enjoy their new home!

Last edited:
I have a family member that wants some of my ducks, they are 3 months old and used to being outside already. I have never done this before and I need help figuring out the safest way to transfer them. She lives 9 hours away and is coming to visit us. I would really appreciate help on how to safely get them from here to there with no problems. Thank you so much.
Hi!

How many ducks, what breed, what kind of vehicle, what climate?

Hi!

How many ducks, what breed, what kind of vehicle, what climate?

2 or 3 depending on which she wants, from New Mexico to Texas, warm and dry to warm and humid. They are mixed breed, golden 300 hybrid and Pekin. And she is driving a car. I'll post a picture of them

Here are the two, I have one more I may give her if she wants him, he is a giant Pekin

Here is a newsletter with an article about travel. http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue40.htm

Here is the travel water holder I use.

I start with a heavy Pyrex flat-bottomed, straight-sided bowl and a plastic food storage container with a hole cut out of the center of the lid.

The plastic container fits snugly in the heavier Pyrex. This avoids splashing and spilling. And sometimes accidents happen anyway, so that's what plastic bags and towels underneath the waterer are for. And a big bottle of fresh water for refills.

I would also have a backup plan in case of unexpected travel delays - ice in a cooler, extra food and water for everybody, and most of all a plan.

Last edited:
I found this through Google but not to much else on traveling ducks. Hope it helps!

http://www.liveducks.com/travel.html

When I went to pick up my ducks I took a large dog cage (looks like a dog house but has metal door and oval vent wholes through out the entire thing). I fit 4 full grown Muscovys in it. However my drive was about a half hr. They pooped a decent amount and made all sorts of hissing noises I assume from being scared and not knowing me. Good luck I hope they have a save ride and enjoy their new home!

Thank you! Great information

Back
Top Bottom