Transitioning chicks to a run (sand)

texsuze

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Texas Hill Country
My four chicks are coming onto 4 weeks old, brooded inside. All going well so far! Once we've completed construction on the new run extension (2-3 weeks from now?) plans are to transition the girls into the existing run, which has a raised coop. Both existing run and extension run (they'll eventually become one space) are on coarse sand--think horse turnout pens. Is there a preferred way to introduce chicks to this sand material prior to when they make The Big Move to their new permanent space? Should I bring a bit of the sand material into their brooder pen now? Someone posted about their chicks ingesting excessive amounts of grit, so I'm wondering about this. The material is not grit, although it is coarse, but not beach sand. Our barn driveway is, however, washed granite gravel, which my older hens use as their grit source. Thoughts? Thanks.

There really is no danger to chicks being put on construction sand. I have four four-week olds outside right now running all over the run dodging the adults and having a blast. They have been on sand since day two of their lives. Never a problem with consuming too much sand.

If you are skeptical, gather a small dish of the sand and place it in the brooder for the chicks to play in. They will eat some of it to kit out their gizzards. This is an instinctive activity and they stop after they've consumed enough. This should reduce the compulsion to eat a lot of sand once they get put outside.

Back
Top Bottom