Transitioning ducks to new home

Twhi7

Songster
Feb 9, 2021
Hi everyone,

I will be getting 5 khaki Campbell’s in just a few weeks. They are a year old and are being given to me since the family is moving out of state. This will be my first time owning ducks! I have done lots of research and I’m feeling pretty confident I know how to care for them properly. But I would appreciate any advice anyone has for me about anything at all!
How can I make this a smooth transition for them? How do I make them feel safe?
Was also wondering specifically the best way to transport them to my house (it’s about a 20 minute drive). Would a big dog kennel covered in a blanket in the bed of my truck be okay or would that freak them out too much?
Thanks in advance!

I think a dog kennel would be good for transport, but one of the large plastic style ones might be better than the metal wire ones.
Ducks generally do not like change, so it will likely take them awhile to adjust to their new situation. Just make sure you have a predator proof area and coop for them, a good sized kiddie pool, and make sure you pick up some dried mealworms. Mealworms are usually ducks favorite treat so they should help with getting the ducks to like you more.
I wish you the best of luck with your new ducks!

I x2 everything @SolarDuck said.

Also, yay for adopting adults! I adopted 3 adults 5 years ago. They were delivered to me in large plastic dog crates in the back of a pickup. They were stressed, but not too much. Depending on how thick the blanket is you might consider using a dark colored sheet for better air flow.

I had everything set up before my ducks arrived and then ignored them for several days. I only went near/into their space for the bare minimum of care, fresh water, feeding, gently herding them into their coop at night while not making eye contact. After their adjustment period I began their socialization. Depending on how tame your ducks already are and how friendly you want them to be I'm happy to help you socialize them.

I think a dog kennel would be good for transport, but one of the large plastic style ones might be better than the metal wire ones.
Ducks generally do not like change, so it will likely take them awhile to adjust to their new situation. Just make sure you have a predator proof area and coop for them, a good sized kiddie pool, and make sure you pick up some dried mealworms. Mealworms are usually ducks favorite treat so they should help with getting the ducks to like you more.
I wish you the best of luck with your new ducks!
Thank you so much!
Unfortunately I only have a metal wire dog kennel. Do you think that will still be okay? Another option would be to just lay a tarp down in the back of my sister’s smaller SUV. But the kennel won’t fit so they would just be roaming in the back. Any thoughts?
I have a really nice fenced in yard for them to forage in and I’m working on building a predator proof pen right now! They will have their coop from their current living situation moved over here so hopefully that will help create some normalcy for them 😊 Oh, and I already picked up a big bag of mealworms!
Thanks again for your response! I so appreciate it.

I x2 everything @SolarDuck said.

Also, yay for adopting adults! I adopted 3 adults 5 years ago. They were delivered to me in large plastic dog crates in the back of a pickup. They were stressed, but not too much. Depending on how thick the blanket is you might consider using a dark colored sheet for better air flow.

I had everything set up before my ducks arrived and then ignored them for several days. I only went near/into their space for the bare minimum of care, fresh water, feeding, gently herding them into their coop at night while not making eye contact. After their adjustment period I began their socialization. Depending on how tame your ducks already are and how friendly you want them to be I'm happy to help you socialize them.
Oh awesome! I’m really excited 😊
That’s definitely a good point about the sheet instead of a blanket.

I hadn’t even considered leaving them alone the first few days but that totally makes sense. The ducks are really sweet and have been handled a lot since they were a day old. The kids are outside with them playing every day! So they are used to being around people, but the few times I have gone over there one of the ducks will run in the coop and hide. So they definitely know who their people are and will have to get used to me. I would love to hear as much as you’re willing to share about socialization! 😊 thanks so much for your response!! Much appreciated.

Oh awesome! I’m really excited 😊
That’s definitely a good point about the sheet instead of a blanket.

I hadn’t even considered leaving them alone the first few days but that totally makes sense. The ducks are really sweet and have been handled a lot since they were a day old. The kids are outside with them playing every day! So they are used to being around people, but the few times I have gone over there one of the ducks will run in the coop and hide. So they definitely know who their people are and will have to get used to me. I would love to hear as much as you’re willing to share about socialization! 😊 thanks so much for your response!! Much appreciated.
I think having them in a crate, even if it is in the back of a truck, is better than having them wander around the inside of an SUV. First of all, you likely underestimate the projectile poop - which becomes more frequent and watery when stressed. Second the speed at which you will travel and any passing vehicles is very scary to my ducks and that is where covering the crate comes in.

I have used the following method with great success to tame terrified ducks into friendly pets that follow me around, and even hop into my lap. Since your new ducks are already friendly with their current family I'm sure they will just need some time and gentle understanding from you. You could start by giving them space to adjust to their new surroundings, then follow my method for as long as it takes for them to get used to you. I suspect it won't take long.

I avoid anything scary. I pay attention to what scares them and I don't do it. I don't make direct eye contact - that's what a predator does before attacking. Instead I look near them. If they are afraid of me being tall I crawl anytime I'm near them and stand up further away. If they don't like being startled I talk as I approach. My ducks didn't like me walking directly at them so I walked in big semi circles around them. (These things are mostly temporary.)

I make every experience positive. I give them their favorite treat everytime they see me. For my ducks that meant I threw them mealworms when I passed their aviary. This also meant I didn't force them to cuddle/accept physical affection. I still don't. If they sit next to me or hop into my lap, cool. But I don't hold them there.

I spent lots of time hanging out being still. I sat near them, being not scary or noisy, doing calm things. I knitted, read books, took naps, ate dinner, ect.

My ducks used to run in the other direction when they saw me. After a few months they ran to me. I became the bringer of good things. When they see a scary hawk they run to me and lay on my feet. We have a great relationship, but I do respect that they are ducks. My ducks are frightened of strangers, but less than they used to be of me.

Keep us updated on how things go, please!

I think having them in a crate, even if it is in the back of a truck, is better than having them wander around the inside of an SUV. First of all, you likely underestimate the projectile poop - which becomes more frequent and watery when stressed. Second the speed at which you will travel and any passing vehicles is very scary to my ducks and that is where covering the crate comes in.

I have used the following method with great success to tame terrified ducks into friendly pets that follow me around, and even hop into my lap. Since your new ducks are already friendly with their current family I'm sure they will just need some time and gentle understanding from you. You could start by giving them space to adjust to their new surroundings, then follow my method for as long as it takes for them to get used to you. I suspect it won't take long.

I avoid anything scary. I pay attention to what scares them and I don't do it. I don't make direct eye contact - that's what a predator does before attacking. Instead I look near them. If they are afraid of me being tall I crawl anytime I'm near them and stand up further away. If they don't like being startled I talk as I approach. My ducks didn't like me walking directly at them so I walked in big semi circles around them. (These things are mostly temporary.)

I make every experience positive. I give them their favorite treat everytime they see me. For my ducks that meant I threw them mealworms when I passed their aviary. This also meant I didn't force them to cuddle/accept physical affection. I still don't. If they sit next to me or hop into my lap, cool. But I don't hold them there.

I spent lots of time hanging out being still. I sat near them, being not scary or noisy, doing calm things. I knitted, read books, took naps, ate dinner, ect.

My ducks used to run in the other direction when they saw me. After a few months they ran to me. I became the bringer of good things. When they see a scary hawk they run to me and lay on my feet. We have a great relationship, but I do respect that they are ducks. My ducks are frightened of strangers, but less than they used to be of me.

Keep us updated on how things go, please!
Wow this is so helpful! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your knowledge! I will be taking notes from your post lol

Back
Top Bottom