Transitioning "farm rabbit" to indoor rabbit

AnachainAcres

Chirping
Apr 13, 2021
WNY
Ok Bunny Buddies I am wondering if this can be done.

He is an approx. 3month old Flemish giant that up till this point has been caged in a barn

How would I go about starting litter training?

Also tips or recommendations on setup indoor would be helpful. He is getting bigger and looking for ideas when he is full grown. The current setup is a medium dog crate for "sleep" or if I am not home, otherwise free roaming the room (i work from home so this is most of the time). He does get outside time when weather permits.

Thank you in advance

First of all, that's teeat that you're free roaming, but when you first start litter training it will help by limiting his space to a large play pen for most of the time. Put an extra large litter box in the coner you notice him using most. Be sure to add lots of hay to the litter box since rabbits poop while eating, this will entice him to use it.
Clean and deodorize any pee and put poop in the litter box.

Once he is around 6 months old you can get him fixed. This will help a lot with litter training and hormonal issues.

As an adult an extra large wire dog playpen would work well for a homebase. I recommend looking on Pinterest for ideas, theres a ton of cute setups there.

Is this your first rabbit? Sounds like you're doing a great job so far. Good luck!

First of all, that's teeat that you're free roaming, but when you first start litter training it will help by limiting his space to a large play pen for most of the time. Put an extra large litter box in the coner you notice him using most. Be sure to add lots of hay to the litter box since rabbits poop while eating, this will entice him to use it.
Clean and deodorize any pee and put poop in the litter box.

Once he is around 6 months old you can get him fixed. This will help a lot with litter training and hormonal issues.

As an adult an extra large wire dog playpen would work well for a homebase. I recommend looking on Pinterest for ideas, theres a ton of cute setups there.

Is this your first rabbit? Sounds like you're doing a great job so far. Good luck!
Thanks I will give that a try. yes and no to the first rabbit. I had one as a kid but I wasn't the one looking after it. He was also a dwarf rabbit. Lol this guy is already almost twice the size!

Back
Top Bottom