Transitioning Flock Living Arrangements

want2know

Songster
5 Years
Dec 25, 2018
Hill Country Texas
So, here is the situation- I have my small flock, that consists of a large Barred Rock Hen and a Black Australorp that will be a year old this September. Their current coop is a converted dog house with an enclosed area around it for them to run around in.
The newer flock consists of one Orpington pullet, one Cochin pullet, a Cochin Cockerel, and two black Australorp pullets. They are temporarily living in a small TSC kit coop, that is supposed to fit up to 6 chickens, but really is suited for maybe 3, unless they are all Bantams.
We are currently building a new coop that is much larger. Their coop, is surrounded with a really good size run besides the one that is attached. Here is a pic of the coop we are replacing( not our current pullets in the picture).
5-12-18 660.jpg

Below is the Dog House coop-when the barred rock and Australorp were pullets. They are larger now and the white Cochin, Ruffles, with the chicken bra, is gone. The dog house coop has an enclosed run around it too.
dog house gang.jpg

20190302_085734.jpg

Currently they are integrated as far as tolerating each other, when we open all the run doors so they have access to both run areas, unless the pullets enter too far into the older hen's dog house coop space, ie. inside, blocking the entrance, etc. the hens start pitching a fit. Both hens stopped laying for 4 or 5 days, which may be partly due to the high temps, but also, think it is because of the disruption of their "safe" space. For a couple of days they stopped going down to their coop, when foraging at sunset to settle in for the night. Instead they perched on our deck rails. We had to pick them up and put them away, which if not done before dark, they were not too happy with.
When we let the hens out to forage in the yard, the pullets love to go up into the dog house and hang out in the big girl's run, particularly up by the entrance.
At first, the dog house owners, went berserk, especially the Australorp, Teriyaki. And who ever said that Australorps are quiet!? She is most of the time, but if she becomes alarmed by a deer, or in this case another chicken interloper, she starts broadcasting a very loud alarm squawk.
Now the hens have grown to tolerate their presence as long as they are out and about.
My question is this, when the pullets start to lay in a couple of months will they stay to their own coop and nesting boxes? Should I give them more separation in the mean time, by keeping their adjoining runs closed to through traffic, or let them work it out?
For the last two days, I have kept both flocks in their own separate areas and Teriyaki finally laid an egg yesterday and today:wee. Thank you for any suggestions or advice. I know I will be glad when this whole integration process is over. Ideally, I would like to take down the separating barriers and let them have free run of both run areas and coops. But will they be able to work it out?:hmm

My question is this, when the pullets start to lay in a couple of months will they stay to their own coop and nesting boxes? Should I give them more separation in the mean time, by keeping their adjoining runs closed to through traffic, or let them work it out
I would let them work it out as things are now...continuing to 'integrate'.
Hopefully you'll have the new coop and run complete before the youngers start to lay, then you can confine all the birds in the new place for a week or so to 'home' them.

Back
Top Bottom