Transitioning food

marybeth111

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2020
When my hens begin to lay eggs, should I slowly integrate the “big girl food” with the starter food, or just stop the starter food altogether. thx in advance.

When my hens begin to lay eggs, should I slowly integrate the “big girl food” with the starter food, or just stop the starter food altogether. thx in advance.
Add free choice oyster shell in a dish. Then continue as you are. If you choose to use layer feed, when all your girls are laying, feed to the bottom of the bag and swap them to feed of choice. I’ve personally decided to stay with all flock feed and oyster shell on side. My broody has chicks under her too often for me to attempt to go back and forth.

If by big girl you mean layer feed then when they are at point of lay you can start transitioning. You can just switch but some don't like going straight from crumble to pellet, though layer also comes in a crumble.
At this time of year most breeds may start between 20 and 30 weeks depending on breed and your latitude.
When a pullet starts laying, she needs calcium to replenish that lost when building egg shells.
Two options are to provide oyster shell in a separate container or switch to layer.

you can mix it .. personally i use food to control my animals so dont give them an unlimited supply, you can tell pretty quick how much they need by whats left or not left over when they walk away .. in the case of 'pellets' specifically for one, ive had young chickens choke and die .. twice .. from introducing that before theyre fully matured .. at the point theyre fully matured they simply dont know what the heck it is at first and will tend to pick around it, a good strategy 'if' you control the food supply and know when your coming with dinner, is to use the pellets like treats before you pour out the cup or whatever .. throw pellets to them one at a time until they see them as the bomb diggity lol ... may take a day or two but theyll warm up to them ..

Add free choice oyster shell in a dish. Then continue as you are. If you choose to use layer feed, when all your girls are laying, feed to the bottom of the bag and swap them to feed of choice. I’ve personally decided to stay with all flock feed and oyster shell on side. My broody has chicks under her too often for me to attempt to go back and forth.
So I understand, finish the starter food and then switch? Oyster shell on the side. Correct? How do you know when they are all laying? I’m a new chicken mom.

you can mix it .. personally i use food to control my animals so dont give them an unlimited supply, you can tell pretty quick how much they need by whats left or not left over when they walk away .. in the case of 'pellets' specifically for one, ive had young chickens choke and die .. twice .. from introducing that before theyre fully matured .. at the point theyre fully matured they simply dont know what the heck it is at first and will tend to pick around it, a good strategy 'if' you control the food supply and know when your coming with dinner, is to use the pellets like treats before you pour out the cup or whatever .. throw pellets to them one at a time until they see them as the bomb diggity lol ... may take a day or two but theyll warm up to them ..
Thank you very much.

So I understand, finish the starter food and then switch? Oyster shell on the side. Correct? How do you know when they are all laying? I’m a new chicken mom.
When I switch from one type of feed to another I mix new and old. Enough to go 3-4 days. I prefer pellets. The hens and pullets are currently on grower crumble. I will be switching over in two weeks. That will put the pullets to 17 weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom