transitioning from eglu cube/free range to wood shed for winter

medein

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
Hey everyone-
First year raising chickens (for eggs initially, but have found unexpected delight in these quirky critters!). Splurged and got an eglu cube which I am happy with, but now have to find better shelter/containment for winter. I have 7 dual-purpose chickens chosen for cold hardiness but it's windy and snowy here in upstate ny, so I've been shoring up an old wooden shed and framing out a covered yard off the side. My concerns are these: #1) having acclimated to the configuration of the plastic eglu cube, will the ladies transition to wooden roosts/nest boxes easily? and #2) litter for the wood floor: hay over spruce boughs is an option, but I think I'd prefer sand + PDZ that I could rake.... all thoughts/advice appreciated!

Hello! I think your hens will do fine. Whenever I put chickens into a new coop, I do keep them locked up in their coop/run for at least a week, sometimes even two weeks. That way, they adjust to the new place and consider it their new home, so if they free range, they will go back into the coop each night.

They might be a bit upset, which can affect egglaying, but that won't last long.

I've heard you've had rough weather up north! Stay warm and be safe,

Sharon

Thanks, Sharon- That wicked Nor'easter skimmed the coast; up here near Lake Ontario we had crystalline sunshine! I'm glad to finally be chatting with other chicken-smitten folks; the ladies are such fun... the way they run when I call, boss my two big German shepherds around, argue politics and dispense scathing rebukes... and they're affectionate! Who knew!

Quote:
Aren't they the neatest things ever?! LOL I love to just hang out with them every day after work and watch them. Oh Lucky you! Glad you got the sunshine! Crystalline sunshine too! LOL

I have to ask, why the change? I have the Eglu Cube and am now approaching my first winter with my 3 Orpingtons. The Eglu materials explain that the Cube is insulated and good for year-round use. Is there some thought that this is not the case?

Back
Top Bottom