Transitioning from roofed to roofless run

Pics
I see awning mentioned, too. My township has an awning ordinance that specifies the size limit, but not placement, so an awning might also be a legal way around covering part of the yard.

Hey everybody. It's been a while so I thought I'd post an update. I haven't heard from the neighbors since they lost the fight with the town over a year ago. Wohoo! The umbrellas have held up okay. I have two of the larger, more sturdy ones now and they are doing great. There's one of the smaller ones left that's barely holding on (the second smaller one died over the course of last winter). I'll shore up the last small one and hope it lasts the winter, then I'll probably replace it next year. The setup is ugly and incredibly ghetto, but that's what the neighbors get to look at every day now! They made their bed, so they'll have to sleep in it from now until forever (since neither of us is willing to move, and I sure ain't giving up my chickens over this).

Mr.Rooster got literally bent over backwards from all the year-round storms and winds (windiest city in the country and it deserves the title), so I had to bend him back upright, but surprisingly - and impressively - his lights still work! I kept them unplugged throughout the year so as not to burn them out, and just plugged them in after Thanksgiving. He lost his festive Christmas scarf at one point, to said record winds. It's high up in the tree above the run now, flapping merrily year-round. The coop and run are all decked out for Christmas, and I made stockings for the new pullets, too (I made all my chicken stockings out of Christmasy clothes that my kids have outgrown). @countryladyNH did you decorate your place again? I remember looking through your pictures last year. They were beautiful!

B8E5E3B8-FCFD-4031-BA55-68EC77CFEC87.jpeg
BC6CE23C-B901-4D5F-A335-C31CC2F9FA9C.jpeg
92356522-192B-4467-BA16-BB594556734C.jpeg
2F1D5010-4161-43CD-A960-D7B1BDC14EFB.jpeg
74233A9D-657D-41E3-9037-6D78BD30613E.jpeg

Hey everybody. It's been a while so I thought I'd post an update. I haven't heard from the neighbors since they lost the fight with the town over a year ago. Wohoo! The umbrellas have held up okay. I have two of the larger, more sturdy ones now and they are doing great. There's one of the smaller ones left that's barely holding on (the second smaller one died over the course of last winter). I'll shore up the last small one and hope it lasts the winter, then I'll probably replace it next year. The setup is ugly and incredibly ghetto, but that's what the neighbors get to look at every day now! They made their bed, so they'll have to sleep in it from now until forever (since neither of us is willing to move, and I sure ain't giving up my chickens over this).

Mr.Rooster got literally bent over backwards from all the year-round storms and winds (windiest city in the country and it deserves the title), so I had to bend him back upright, but surprisingly - and impressively - his lights still work! I kept them unplugged throughout the year so as not to burn them out, and just plugged them in after Thanksgiving. He lost his festive Christmas scarf at one point, to said record winds. It's high up in the tree above the run now, flapping merrily year-round. The coop and run are all decked out for Christmas, and I made stockings for the new pullets, too (I made all my chicken stockings out of Christmasy clothes that my kids have outgrown). @countryladyNH did you decorate your place again? I remember looking through your pictures last year. They were beautiful!

View attachment 2937122View attachment 2937124View attachment 2937125View attachment 2937126View attachment 2937127
Beautiful! I would need 81 stockings for all my chickens, ducks, guineas, dogs and cats.

I turned a photo of my coop from last winter into the front of our Christmas cards for this year. All my coops have Christmas lights up year round. The red light is from my brooder, I usually raise chicks/ducklings during the winter. I'm holding off until February '22 this time .

20211214_114729.jpg

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Last edited:

View attachment 2937122View attachment 2937124View attachment 2937125View attachment 2937126View attachment 2937127

Kokoshka! Sweetie! So happy to hear from you! How are you and the family and the flock??
Your photos are great! LOVE the festive coop decorations! LOL, your crabby neighbors! They sure shot themselves in the foot with their ridiculous complaints last year and now they have to look at umbrella-ville!!
YES! we have our annual Christmas photo gallery up here:

https://www.thecountryladyantiques.com/products-gone.php

I hope you can 'visit' and check out the pictures! Here are a few in the meantime!
I made the duck's hats from a Christmas sock. Top cut off for them, bottom for a 'neck warmer' for Mayflower, our Pilgrim goose!

xmasgoose_cover copy.jpg

xmasduck_cover1 copy.jpg

xmasduck_cover2 copy.jpg

Below, Hubby and me and our semi-wonder mutt, Pippa!

xmasfamily_cover copy 2.jpg

Merry Christmas, my friend!

Gorgeous as always! I still really want to get the whole set of Christmas chickens for a flower bed out front.
How could I forget! Since Christmas decorations have become a running theme on this thread, I wanted to show y’all that this year my Christmas village has chickens! 😄

View attachment 2937172
That's adorable.

Back
Top Bottom