Transparent coop walls?

Grampy7

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 8, 2014
Greater Dayton, OH Zone 6a
I have plans to triple my coop area. It is off the ground and I have both OSB and transparent fiberglass panels I can use for the walls, all four or just one. Are there reasons for or against see through walls? I even thought about making the roof transparent but I don't want it to be like a greenhouse in the summer, although it is well shaded.

Clear roof could be great in winter for solar gain.
Clear walls too.
What kind of shade?
I dream of a coop with large maples over it for shade in summer and sun in winter.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1584455597357.png

Some people prefer a bright coop. My personal preference is a darker coop, but still with enough light so the chickens and I can see what we re doing in there. I'm just more comfortable with a darker coop. Just because my preference is for a darker coop does not mean there is anything wrong with a bright coop or the other way around. A lot of the things you see on here are personal preference. The reality is that there are lots of different ways things will work.

I don't know where you are so I don't have a clue as to your climate or even which side of the equator you are on, but I think you hit the key point. You do not want to turn your coop into a greenhouse in summer. Greenhouses have clear walls as well as roofs. Depending in shade, in the northern hemisphere I'd be tempted to make the south and west walls less transparent if you are in a warm climate. Ventilation is important too.

How well do you trust that specific OSB where it can get wet? How waterproof it is kind of depends on which resin is used to make it. But when you cut it those the cut edges usually need to be sealed to keep them form soaking up water even if that is a waterproof OSB.

I'm in SW Ohio, greater Dayton. My coop is shaded by oaks and other trees on all sides but east. If I go with OSB, the walls will be painted or stained where exposed. There will be an 8" overhang on all sides with a metal roof. I'm leaning toward the east being transparent to catch the morning sun, then shade throughout the day. I just didn't know if there was any affect or preference for the hens other than temperature.

I have plans to triple my coop area. It is off the ground and I have both OSB and transparent fiberglass panels I can use for the walls, all four or just one. Are there reasons for or against see through walls? I even thought about making the roof transparent but I don't want it to be like a greenhouse in the summer, although it is well shaded.
I dont see any issues with having transparent walls. I think it actually added beauty in it.

I would not 1go with clear walls because, only my opinion, but a predator near your coop would be so stresfull for your birds. Many are visual ( don't know what lives in your area) but just the sight of a chicken would make them want to investigate further.

I agree with this sentiment. I’d use the solid OSB walls in the roost area. Clear panels would be fine as you indicated -towards the East. Good luck!

I would not 1go with clear walls because, only my opinion, but a predator near your coop would be so stresfull for your birds. Many are visual ( don't know what lives in your area) but just the sight of a chicken would make them want to investigate further.
Those were my concerns too. As far as beauty goes, my thought now is a clear panel or two mixed with the metal panels for the roof to act as sky lights. This little project is beginning to feel like a home remodel.

Back
Top Bottom