Transplanting trees in the fall?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I was curious to ask if transplanting trees in the fall works?

Especially I ask because I am in a cold winter state. Usually it freezes in November. But last year it froze in mid October. I do understand that its best to transplant in Spring for the best chance to live and for survival success.

But I couldn't help but wonder, what the success rates for transplanting in fall for cold weather states is when the tree only has about 2 months to adapt its roots before the freeze? And what is your experience with this?

Sure I can wait till Spring. But I am interested in the knowledge. And I'm also liking the idea of not waiting for 6 more months or 7... to waste all that time without doing experiments before then.

Curious what you will say.

It is better to transplant trees in the fall. The main advantages are that the soil settles better before the tree makes much use of its roots, the tree gets a start in adapting its roots to the site - regrowing root hairs and such - before it starts growing, the tree wakes up better - earlier, more gradually.

I have always transplanted in the spring because that is when the plants I wanted were available.

You know the tree should be dormant, right?

Last edited:
It is better to transplant trees in the fall. The main advantages are that the soil settles better before the tree makes much use of its roots, the tree gets a start in adapting its roots to the site - regrowing root hairs and such, the tree wakes up better - earlier, more gradually.

I have always transplanted in the spring because that is when the plants I wanted were available.

You know the tree should be dormant, right?
Excellent advice. I wish more tree varieties were available in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom