Transporting and Integrating Peafowl Questions

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by mar013q, Mar 18, 2012.

1. mar013q

mar013q Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Maryland
    We have a peacock and have found a peahen for him. We need to drive an hour to pickup the peahen. My husband and I both have cars but my father has a truck we could borrow. What is the best way to transport her back to our house safely? What do we put her in? She is six years old so full grown. Once we get her, how do we introduce her to our peacock? He has a small barn and large enclosed run. Thanks for any tips & suggestions!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. SDpeafowl

SDpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Dakota
    They really don't mind traveling, we have transported peafowl up to 100 miles away. For transport we put them in a large dog kennel, with some straw in the bottom for some comfort. Once you have her at your farm I would recommend putting her in a separate pen for a few days beside the male so she gets used to her new friend and the new surroundings. Hope that helps.

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    [​IMG] Yep I agree. I haven't transported peafowl that far, but we always use a dog box. That always works. The birds are nice and calm in the dog box and they just lay there or stand. They don't seem to fly up trying to get out or anything so she should be fine.

4. Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Cottage Grove, WI
    you also might want to consider keeping her away from your peacock for a 30 day quarantine to make sure that you aren't giving either one something they haven't been exposed to before. Good Luck and share some pictures of the new addition :)

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    You got some good advice here but everyone forgot about the air freshners you may need cause an upset pea can cause a terrible stink , i swear it is a defence they have cause their poop smells terrible. so be ready for the smell if you transport them in a car.I took my truck last time [​IMG]
    Can't wait to see your Peas

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by