TRANSPORTING CHICKENS long distance.....HOW TO????

chicken_chik

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Hey everyone,
Wasn't sure where to post these questions, so thought people who travel and show their chickens might be able to give me some much needed wise advice! :)

We are moving mid-summer about a 24 hour drive from our current location (MN to CO).
I'd like to take at least some of my laying hens with us (we have 20 hens and 1 rooster).
So my main questions are:

How do I do this?

How do you transport them? (stacked? in the covered truck bed???)

What type of crate/box do I use?

How many should I put in a crate/box?

How do I feed/water them on the road?

Is there testing/vaccines that are usually needed to cross state lines? (I'll check with my vet on this one too).

Is this even advisable? Should I expect some will die? Should I re-home them, and start over (don't really want to do this option, if possible).

Thanks for any advice! I've never had to travel with my girls.
TJ

Last edited:
I use a dog crate when I transport chickens to the show in Columbus, but that's only 2 1/2 hours. A dog crate will work for you too, but chickens produce alot of body heat, so for such long distances I would maybe use a large dog crate, with say, three or four chickens per crate, and make sure they've got water to drink and don't worry too much about food, just have a little bit in there. Put pine shavings in the crates to help with the smell, and take some extra shavings with you.

Make sure to shelter them from the sun and rain and heat, if you can.

Thanks for the reply "chicmom".
I decided to make some hauling crates myself.
I made them 2'x3' and 14" tall. I thought I'd leave the bottom off to use as a brooder and chick turn out, then I'll put the bottom on to use a hauling crate. I think it'll work good for hauling meat birds every summer too, so it'll get its use.

I am awaiting my veterinarians call back on necessary paperwork, etc. to take them across state lines.
Now just have to get the house sold! :)

Very nice shipping crate.

My birds travel well. Mostly, they lay down and go to sleep. I just drove 5 geese for 8 hours and they were absolutely fine. They would have been fine for a couple more days in the crates (with some stops for food and water)

In the summer, watch the heat, use good ventilation.

My birds travel in dog airline crates in the back of a pickup with a canopy or else inside my cargo van. It is the van, if the weather is hot because then they are in the air conditioning.

I use a thick layer of shavings on the bottom of the crate to absorb the bird poo. Keep the wind off of them and make sure nothing can fall over onto their cages, and don't put them anywhere that might leak carbon monoxide from the exhaust.

If I were to move, I would take my birds with me. I really like my birds and don't want to start over. new birds would probably be shipped in, anyway, so leaving the old flock doesn't prevent shipping of birds.

Oregon Blues....I realize this an old post but I am planning a move from Upper Peninsula of Michigan all the way to South Carolina with my flock of 30+ birds of various ages and would really like some tips. I have a few large dog crates and some smaller ones for my laying hens (3), and I was wondering since it is cooler out right now (will prolly be end of October, cooler here and warmer as i get further south) would they be okay inside a horse trailer? The trailer will be enclosed and my mare will be on the one side so some body heat from her.
There is a complete divider that goes all the way to the floor so she can't get to the birds in their crates.

How many can I put in a crate? Large (plastic) crates are big enough to hold a Shepard, or Retriever. Can i put 5 or 6 in those?
I have a flock of 7 Salmon Faverolles that are 8 weeks old now, 4 Ameraucanas that are 8 wks old, and 4 more Ameraucanas 3 weeks old, and some Golden Laced Brahmas and BLRW that will be approx. 4 weeks old. Plus my 3 layers.

I am planning on stocking a cooler with those mesh bags full of cut of melon, apples, and tomatoes to hang inside the crates at stops along the way. I am hoping that will provide them with moisture, food and keep them from getting too bored.
Shavings for the bedding.....impossible to change along the way
barnie.gif

Unfortunately I am driving alone so I will need to stop overnight in a motel, so all will need to chill in the trailer while i catch some
th.gif
zzzzzz's.

I was hoping to find someone that could help me with the driving but it doesn't look good.
I have gone around and around about the possibility of selling off all the flocks and even my mare, but I can't bring myself to do it. I raised my mare from a 5 month old foal, and she is 14 yrs old now. Even though i can no longer ride she is family and I still enjoy her company. And the chickens well .....you all understand where i am coming from there.

I am disabled and selling my lovely property here to move down by family so I don't have to deal with the harsh winters all alone any longer.

Oh....also, does anyone know where i can find those sturdy mesh bags for hanging food for chickens?
Thanks ya'll (southern drawl)

How did it go, Precious? I see your post is three years old but I will be in your circumstances in a few months. Any advice or tips? Anything you would have done differently? It will still be warm when we go but not as hot as July! Hope all is well with you and your animals.

I’m moving from San Diego to Alabama this summer with 5 chickens. I was thinking about getting 20L x 13H x 14W dog travel carrier. Could I put 2 chickens in each one? I am just going to put them in the back of my SUV and sneak them into the hotel each night. I’m scared with all the bumps that the water will spill but I was planning on leaving cold watermelon in the carriers along with there food. Would the watermelons be enough hydration for the day while we are driving if I give it to them all day?

Lkaybb,
How did your move go with chickens? My hubby and I are planning a move from CA to FL within the next 6 mths. I Love my feathered family and plan to take several with me. So wanted to know how things went with your move.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom