Transporting Chickens---Suggestions?

Ooo (as in the sound of the wind), Thanks. I hadn't thought about building my own wire cage to fit in the pickup. I was thinking the 'girls' could run around the horse trailer at night while the equine are stabled or staked.
Pat

Remember that the birds will be stressed so everytime you open the cage you have them in you take a chance on someone escaping so it might not be wise to remove them and put them in the trailer. A large cage in the back of the truck would definately be your best option. It should be covered to give shade and protection if it rains. You can cut out a gallon milk jug, like from about half way on the front and up, to make a waterer and mount it by the handle on the side of the cage. Then when you stop add small amounts of water so they can drink till everyone's full but not leave enough in it to spill when you're driving. And you could put their hanging feeder, if that's what you use, or a large dog bowl of pellets (which should be heavy enough not to blow out) for them to munch on. The watermelon is a good idea, but the more of it they eat the more watery their poop will be. I brought 5 standards 7 hours when I moved here. They were in a very large wire dog crate with a bowl I used to water occasionally. I also mounted a roost in there and that's where they spent most of the trip. They'd hunker down on the roost when we were driving then when we'd stop they would get down and drink. I hope this helps and I hope you have a good trip.

Last edited:
Why not have a canopy on the pick up with the windows open(providing there is screens on the canopy) then just put a half a bale of hay in there and make it a moving coop!

Add water and food every so often so they can drink AND chickens can learn to drink from bottles. So thats another idea suspended waterers no spilliage. Feeders can be anchored by just wiring them to a tire in the back. The pickup bed can then be washed off at the car wash after.

Well its an idea lol...

Arklady

Last edited:
That is a super idea but the horse trailer is a gooseneck which means the hitch is in the middle of the truck bed. but come to think of it I may have seen covers that go around the hitch. Ummmmm Thank you for taking the time to help me. I really do appreciate it.
Pat

Pat, Have you considered using the neck part of the trailer, you could put hay down in there and let them at it, no having to move them around??? HTH

That is where my bed is. I feel like the girls would have a good time in the camper but............
Pat

Back
Top Bottom