Transporting Chickens

Melontine

Songster
May 26, 2019
Maine
Later this year, we're thinking of sending three of our hens off to live with my grandparents. We're going to help them get started with a coop, enclosure, and by sending three of our 1 year old Buff Orpingtons there way. (Peeps, Skittles, and Starburst are the three I think who will be leaving.) We think it's a good way to help them out and make sure they'll at least have a fresh supply of eggs during the summer and fall months.
It's a 2-3 hour drive, so I was wondering what the best way to transport three hens would be.
Should I try to put them together in one crate or give them individual crates placed next to each other? Is there a way to keep them calm during the drive?

Later this year, we're thinking of sending three of our hens off to live with my grandparents. We're going to help them get started with a coop, enclosure, and by sending three of our 1 year old Buff Orpingtons there way. (Peeps, Skittles, and Starburst are the three I think who will be leaving.) We think it's a good way to help them out and make sure they'll at least have a fresh supply of eggs during the summer and fall months.
It's a 2-3 hour drive, so I was wondering what the best way to transport three hens would be.
Should I try to put them together in one crate or give them individual crates placed next to each other? Is there a way to keep them calm during the drive?
I like to just put my in a big old tub with some shavings and some chicken wire on top. They usually do fine all together and just lay down for the ride. I’ve never had any problems transporting chickens like this.

I like to just put my in a big old tub with some shavings and some chicken wire on top. They usually do fine all together and just lay down for the ride. I’ve never had any problems transporting chickens like this.

That's good. Hopefully, these hens will be good and lay down the whole trip too. The only tub I can use will be being used as a brooder for some chicks, but maybe they'll fully feathered and old enough to go on grass by then.

I have transported up to 3 Brahma hens in a standard cat carrier. No problems

I used a cat carrier last time I needed to take a hen to get checked out by a vet (neighbors saw her get hit by a car, but she was perfectly fine). It worked out well then, but I wasn't sure for a trip which would take hours, and I doubt I could squeeze three Orpingtons in a single cat carrier. Maybe a dog crate?

That's good. Hopefully, these hens will be good and lay down the whole trip too. The only tub I can use will be being used as a brooder for some chicks, but maybe they'll fully feathered and old enough to go on grass by then.

I used a cat carrier last time I needed to take a hen to get checked out by a vet (neighbors saw her get hit by a car, but she was perfectly fine). It worked out well then, but I wasn't sure for a trip which would take hours, and I doubt I could squeeze three Orpingtons in a single cat carrier. Maybe a dog crate?
I have Brahmas. My hens process out between 4.5-6lbs so live weight 7-9lbs. Orps should fit. Keep them cool and they'll be ok.

Back
Top Bottom