Transporting chicks in my car

BearSwampChick

Chicken Sensei
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
Marysville, OH
I'm going to be picking up my chicks at Mt. Healthy on April 20. It will be about 6 hours from the time I pick them up to getting them home in the brooder. I'm stopping at a friend's house on the way home so her daughter can see them for a couple of hours. My question is do I need to bring the waterers and feeders with me or will they be okay until I get them home? I figure they will be, as normally they would be enroute for longer than that if they were being shipped. Just need some reassurance. Thanks.
smile.png

Susan

Mine will be riding around with me today (hopefully, if they actually get them) and I bought hand warmers to put in the box. Not sure if it will be necessary, but I figured they would certainly stay healthier if I keep them toasty warm. Not sure if that is something you would need or want, but thought I would suggest it just in case.
smile.png
Oh, and they were on clearance at my WalMart, $1 for a 3 pack.
smile.png
Can't beat that to ensure healthy babies.
smile.png

I would bring food and water, just in case, that is a long trip, apple thing sounds good. And I would make sure they do not get cold, whats the temps in your area? Stooping so kids can see them will give them a break from the ride, maybe let them eat and drink at that time too. Just bring a little bowl and then a jug of water, then you can give them a drink whenever you stop. How old will the chicks be? The younger they are, the more concern with keeping them warm, car heater or the handwarmer suggestion. Something that plugs into your cigarette lighter?

They will be day-olds so keeping warm will be an issue. It's so hard to tell in Ohio about the temps in April, could be anything from freezing cold to 80 degrees. I was thinking of looking for a heating pad or blanket that you plug into the car. I drive a van so the box will be sitting on the floor in the middle. I will try the hand warmers if I can't find the other.

I'd worry much more about the heat than feed/water if they are day olds.

You can buy a cheap power inverter that plugs into your cig lighter in the car and then you can plug regular appliances into it.

One that costs about $20 would probably put out enough power to run a standard heating pad to put under the box.

Thanks, arlee (Susan), that was one of the ideas I was considering. I'm going to hazard a guess from the 53 in your screenname that you were born that year? If so, me too!

(The other) Susan

Hot water bottles ( the old fashioned rubber ones) could be refilled at your stop and I believe there are electric blankets and heating pads that run from a power point in a car. Can anyone hold the chicks in a box on a lap? Can you bring them into the house during your stop to water them?

Back
Top Bottom