Transporting chicks outside

KBGB

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2022
Dallas Georgia
Hi everyone! Can anyone share with me their best practices for taking chicks outside for short visits before they transition fully outside? I am having a hard time determining what I would use to carry them outside and then back in that wouldn't have them bounced around or piled on top of each other. Also what do you put them in outside? I have a dog crate, would using that without the tray so they can peck the grass be sufficient? Also they currently act like I am Godzilla and lose their minds every time I reach in my hand and they won't eat from my hand so I am hoping some outside time in a couple of weeks where I can get on their level will help. I feel like I stress them out so badly every time I clean their brooder.
Thanks for the help!

Can you post pictures of your brooder?
How old are the chicks?
The chicks are acting like you are Godzilla because you are reaching down over them as an aerial predator would. They are hardwired to fear that.
Do you have an adult flock? If not, do you have the coop and run finished for them?
Where in general are you located in the world? Updating your profile with that information would be very useful.

Can anyone share with me their best practices for taking chicks outside for short visits before they transition fully outside? I am having a hard time determining what I would use to carry them outside and then back in that wouldn't have them bounced around or piled on top of each other.
It depends on how many chicks you have.
For a very small number, you can carry them in your hands, and maybe make two trips.

For larger numbers, any kind of box or bucket can work. Put something in the bottom so they do not slide around (maybe an old towel, or some hay). Put something over the top so they don't fly out (maybe the lid of a box, or a towel over a bucket.)

To avoid bouncing them around, carry it carefully.
To avoid them being piled on top of each other, make sure it is big enough they can all sit on the bottom, and carry it carefully.

Also what do you put them in outside?
It depends on how many chicks, and what you have available.

If you stay with them, it mostly needs to keep them from running away or flying away.
If you intend to walk away and leave them, or if there is a dog that might run through the yard even when you are there, they should be in something that will protect them from predators (dogs, cats, raccoons, hawks, etc.)

If you already have an outdoor coop & run, you can just put them in that, so they can start getting used to it.

I have a dog crate, would using that without the tray so they can peck the grass be sufficient?
That will probably work fine.

I used a cardboard brooder box and cut a “drawbridge” type door into the side to line up exactly with the door to my dog crate. Every day I would open the drawbridge to let them come out and play on my lap and eat wet mash from a cup I would hold. They got conditioned to come running out when it opened. When I wanted to transport I would line up the dog crate and put some wet mash inside, and open the drawbridge. They would all go running to eat it. Then I could close the crate and take them outside.

For a short supervised trip, I had garden stakes set up in a small circle that I could sit inside, and would wrap them in garden netting, draping it over the top for additional protection. I was very hands-on and would sit with them for about an hour until I took them back inside. Wet mash again in the dog crate would bring most of them running back and I could corral the 1-2 stragglers into it and bring them back in.

I would not suggest garden plastic netting if you aren’t going to sit and supervise as it isn’t predator proof.

How old are the chicks?
The chicks are acting like you are Godzilla because you are reaching down over them as an aerial predator would. They are hardwired to fear that.
Do you have an adult flock? If not, do you have the coop and run finished for them?
Where in general are you located in the world? Updating your profile with that information would be very useful.
Excellent questions and comments. The only thing I'd add is how many chicks do you have? It's easier to answer these questions if we know what you are working with.

How old are the chicks?
I have 3 20 week old hens in the main coop and run. I have a grow out coop that is inside the run. I am located NW of Atlanta Georgia. Temps are in the 60s/70s right now. I have 6 chicks that are currently two weeks old. I am not planning on making short trips outside for another couple of weeks. I was just trying to think ahead logistically to how that would work. My brooder doesn't have a side entry, only top.
1646601731998.jpeg

It depends on how many chicks you have.
For a very small number, you can carry them in your hands, and maybe make two trips.

For larger numbers, any kind of box or bucket can work. Put something in the bottom so they do not slide around (maybe an old towel, or some hay). Put something over the top so they don't fly out (maybe the lid of a box, or a towel over a bucket.)

To avoid bouncing them around, carry it carefully.
To avoid them being piled on top of each other, make sure it is big enough they can all sit on the bottom, and carry it carefully.

It depends on how many chicks, and what you have available.

If you stay with them, it mostly needs to keep them from running away or flying away.
If you intend to walk away and leave them, or if there is a dog that might run through the yard even when you are there, they should be in something that will protect them from predators (dogs, cats, raccoons, hawks, etc.)

If you already have an outdoor coop & run, you can just put them in that, so they can start getting used to it.

That will probably work fine.
Thank you so much for your advice!

I used a cardboard brooder box and cut a “drawbridge” type door into the side to line up exactly with the door to my dog crate. Every day I would open the drawbridge to let them come out and play on my lap and eat wet mash from a cup I would hold. They got conditioned to come running out when it opened. When I wanted to transport I would line up the dog crate and put some wet mash inside, and open the drawbridge. They would all go running to eat it. Then I could close the crate and take them outside.

For a short supervised trip, I had garden stakes set up in a small circle that I could sit inside, and would wrap them in garden netting, draping it over the top for additional protection. I was very hands-on and would sit with them for about an hour until I took them back inside. Wet mash again in the dog crate would bring most of them running back and I could corral the 1-2 stragglers into it and bring them back in.

I would not suggest garden plastic netting if you aren’t going to sit and supervise as it isn’t predator proof.
I love the idea of the drawbridge!

I have 3 20 week old hens in the main coop and run. I have a grow out coop that is inside the run. I am located NW of Atlanta Georgia. Temps are in the 60s/70s right now. I have 6 chicks that are currently two weeks old. I am not planning on making short trips outside for another couple of weeks. I was just trying to think ahead logistically to how that would work. My brooder doesn't have a side entry, only top. View attachment 3016233
I would brood them in the grow out coop with a brooder plate and I'd move them out now.

Do you have a photo of that grow out coop? If you have electricity out there you can move them out there permanently now, just provide heat. If those temperatures hold you should be able to move them out permanently without heat in another 2 to 2-1/2 weeks.

I have a dog crate, would using that without the tray so they can peck the grass be sufficient?

As long as it s a wire cage and not a plastic crate, absolutely. The one warning would be to make sure they can't get through the wire. You can start that today if you can hang around. They will tell you if they get cold. Try to put it where the wind doesn't hit it.

At two weeks they can fly reasonably well so don't let them fly away. Once they are loose they are hard to catch since they aren't trained to come to you. They are not as delicate as you seem to think, either physically or emotionally. I'd probably look at a cardboard box with a lid to move them if you don't want to carry them two at a time. The hardest part of this may be catching them to take them back inside without letting them loose.

Back
Top Bottom