Transporting Cornish Broilers

SJY

Hatching
Jan 3, 2018
I have an order for 50 Cornish broilers to be delivered to the processor tomorrow. They average 6lbs right now. I was able to get the processor to come in early so I could deliver them by 7 am before the sun came up. It is a 45 minute drive to the processor and it looks like the temperature is going to be in the low 60's during the time they will be loaded. I plan to haul them in the back of my truck in 30x30 cages. I have a bed cap on my truck (not at camper top) that I can use. Now to my question.......Would you haul them with or without the bed cap? How many chickens would you recommend per cage? Thanks in advance.

With the temp in the 60s I would close the bed cap, since heat will not be an issue. The 60 MPH wind might scare them into hurting themselves. Not sure about how many to a box... I process my chicks, so they have a short trip:)

With the temp in the 60s I would close the bed cap, since heat will not be an issue. The 60 MPH wind might scare them into hurting themselves. Not sure about how many to a box... I process my chicks, so they have a short trip:)
That was my thoughts as well. I think the dark and quiet would be better given the lower temperature, but there's not hardly any airflow like that either. This is my first time transporting birds of this size. I usually require pickup, but couldn't turn down the offer that required delivery.

I would not use the bed cap, they put off so much heat, I think that they would quickly get too hot enclosed. I might put a pallet on top of the cage to give a little shade.

I don't think the trip will bother them much at all, I have often transported chickens in the back of a pick up with no harm. Down in the bed of the pick up, the air will be moving above them, not on them.

Back
Top Bottom