trap nest plans///needed

jvls1942

Crossing the Road
15 Years
Oct 16, 2008
wausau,wisconsin
I am remodeling my coop. going to build 14 nests in a row along one wall..

I need to find a design for a trap nest door..

please do not direct me to use the "search" listing from above..
been there done that..

I hit upon a moran site that had a picture of one, but I cannot find that thread again..

this is the fifth time that I have asked a question on this site and so far I have not had an answer to any of them.. hope I do better on this one..

.........jiminwisc..........
fl.gif

Yes, thank you, this is the thread..

that picture of the maran banner covers up most of the thumb sized pictures, but I managed to click on the very bottom right one showing some trap doors.. now at least I have an idea to build on.. I do not see exactly how the trigger is set.

does the chicken actually lift the door far enough to unlatch the lower section?

I will do some sketches and make a prototype..

...jiminwisc...

Can you see the pic with the door 'set'? It is folded up so that the lower half is a little above horizontal (please do not critique my terminology here, I don't know what else to call it
tongue.png
) so that it is propped in place by its own weight and the fact that the upper half is a bit longer than the lower half. It is just resting there by gravity and its own weight, you know?

So when a hen ducks under it to go into the nest she bumps into it, dislodging the door which unfolds to hang straight down. Because of the lips at the bottom and side edges of the box's opening, the door can't be pushed straight out, so the hen is stuck there.

Or anyhow that's how I interpret it.

The only thing keeping me from running out and building one *today* is that my nestboxes are a bit weird and I would have to close off the top of the back wall and dividers in order to make it work. But I think I may actually do that. Er, when time permits.

If you make some yourself, post pics and a review!
smile.png

Pat

Quote:
yeah Pat, that is how I see it also..

I would imagine that the hens would have to get well accustomed to laying in those nests to want to squeeze under that door..

I get the concept, anyhow..

I tried that site a few times again but it just will not load for me.. no matter, I will see if I can improve on the trigger mechanism..

I have built a few boxtraps in my day, maybe I will incorporate one of those triggers.

and it is not IF I build these nests..
all I have to do is plane some lumber and get at it.. I will take photos as I go.. will keep you posted... thanks for all your help..

....jiminwis.........

Back
Top Bottom