Trauma / Injury / Marek's / Bumblefoot??

Well, unfortunately at her age and with her symptoms this sounds like Mareks, but a head injury could also do this. If she dies, or you decide to cull her, it would be good to get testing to see if it is Mareks, so that you can go forward. Your state vet lab usually can do a necropsy and testing for Mareks if indicated. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Well, unfortunately at her age and with her symptoms this sounds like Mareks, but a head injury could also do this. If she dies, or you decide to cull her, it would be good to get testing to see if it is Mareks, so that you can go forward. Your state vet lab usually can do a necropsy and testing for Mareks if indicated. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you. I will lean towards Marek’s and then find her standing up and start second guessing. She does have some head movement that concerns me. Regardless- she is eating and drinking and resting in the sun today. She does screech like it hurts when she poops - which is regularly since she’s eating so much. I’m going to check to see if she’s egg bound this afternoon. The state vet is in my town. They prefer to euthanize there so the body is fresh for necropsy. Now I’ll just wait.

Attachments

• A7825D4E-2248-4C88-A486-115EB0D7E4E7.jpeg
    A7825D4E-2248-4C88-A486-115EB0D7E4E7.jpeg
    550.3 KB · Views: 6
Little Cookie didn’t make it. She had a turn for the worse through the day and started having seizure like movements that turned her neck back - so we euthanized her. I took her to the diagnostics lab immediately after. I’ll circle back when we find out. She was on the deck in the sunshine with a full belly for her last day.
Let us know how she does, or if you get a necropsy at some point. She is a pretty pullet.

I would use the maximum dosage of Corid which is 2 tsp of the liquid or. 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Make it daily and it should be the only choice of water.

I’ve been treating the flock with Corrid and fenbendazole per the recommendation of the vet. Tonight I noticed my oldest girl, Carly, had a wet cough. Do you think it could be gapeworms responding to the wormer or should I treat for respiratory? This is a few minutes ago. She sounds croupy.

Gapeworm is rare and causes severe gasping and gaping. She looks to have mild symptoms sneezing and some congestion which could be a virus. However, the fenbendazole given for 5 days gets gapeworm and capillary worms, 2 of the more serious worms.

My little girl that died had capillary worms. The flock is getting safeguard and the other other via their water. Sounds like I might need to give it to Carly orally. She ate last night but I haven’t seen her drink very much this morning.

Back
Top Bottom