Traveling Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Ducky, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Tomorrow I will be taking my (3) ducklings home. It is about an hour drive. How should I transport them? They will be three days old.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    A nice little box with some pine shavings or straw in it would work.

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Rubbermaid box lines with a cotton towel so they wont slide around. They can go one hour without food or water.

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I always use a dog/cat kennel/carrier with a towel or shavings in it. Good air flow so they won't get stuffed up in the heat of a closed up box, or have to worry about escapees in an open top box. [​IMG] I ride with them in the passanger seat if I can fit the cage in (depends on size of ducks of course in my case) and talk to them on the ride. [​IMG]

congrats on new ducklings! Must share pics when you get them!

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

They are only 3 days old, which means they can squeeze out of a pet carrier. I had that happening, thought the one duckling would not fit, but no not a problem at all. Slipped right through. Had to search the entire shop to find the little sucker. So a deep plastic tub, no lid need, on the floor of the passenger side should be fine.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Any old container with decent ventilation. A cardboard box works fine--just punch holes in it. Best for the container to be small so there's less room for them to slide around and they stay warmer that way too. You can also just use a box with an open top, if there's someone to hold the box and keep an eye on them, then no need to punch holes in it.

Most important: Line the bottom of the box with something non-slippery like straw, wood shavings, old towel, etc. DO NOT use newspaper in the bottom or leave them on a bare floor. Sliding around can cause permanent damage to their little legs.

Other than that, they're pretty easy to transport.

Enjoy!!!

7. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    When I got my ducklings the store gave me a cardboard box to put them in but nothing in the bottom and no vent holes but I did pop the top open to keep peeking in on them if the sides are to low they can hop out but if you have a tall box they will be fine.

8. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Paper towels for flooring works good too.

9. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks guys! I ended up taking them home in a basket w/ straw in it on my lap, though they weren't in it most of the time! My favorite little guy, Peanut, spent most of the ride sleeping on my shoulder! The other two alternated from the edge of the basket to in my hand, to fighting Peanut for the spot on my shoulder! They didn't mind the ride at all, and are now flourishing in a pen upstairs-thanks for the advise! [​IMG]

10. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    I have a Peanut too. My little crested runner is Peanut. Congrats on your new duckies! We are waiting for pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by